HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/lounge-71/)
-   -   BMW reliabilty? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/lounge-71/bmw-reliabilty-20266/)

andryuha 04-14-2006 01:11 PM

RE: BMW reliabilty?

ORIGINAL: sandrider123

Okay thanks for the responses, my dad is now starting to re-think the idea of allowing me to get a bmw because of possible insurance spikes for me. As I just got a 95 in a 55 not to long ago. So he's thinking about letting me purchase a car that wouldnt get me into so much trouble (the cops around here hate modified hondas) as many of them are the ones that cause the problem. And yes I do realize I deserved the ticket im not going to argue that. But considering I have gotten pulled over becasue I spun my tires on a wet up-hill road when I started going from a stoplight, I got pulled over for wreckless driving evban though i didnt sit there and spin them on purpose it was they just slipped when i started climbing the hill. Anywasie the BMW I was considering was a 95 325I for $6,000.
Well that sucks [:o]. If it's a 4dr, insurance shouldn't be that bad though. I pay $200 for 6 months, but it's a basic liability coverage and I'm under my parents' policy. I also have 2 speeding tickets, one reckless op (donuts in a parking lot) and a fender - bender.

Get a BMW, but not an automatic one.

Patrick 04-14-2006 01:28 PM

i dont recall how much my insurance was, but i know that it was really cheap...mind you, im pretty sure that im older than both of you (im 27), and i have a spotless driving record,..no tickets, accidents, etc. i pay about 77 a month on the stratus, and the BMW was FAR cheaper than that

amg6975 04-14-2006 01:51 PM

My MINI (BMW engine) is still running strong after 2500 miles.:D

As for insurance... I dunno about BMW but mine PLUMMETED when I got the Mini. I just got some deductions that my old agent didn't bother to give me though too... good student, good driver and lo-jack.:)

Patrick 04-14-2006 03:20 PM

something else that insurance companies look at is the amount of accidents with a certain vehicle..since the 525i isnt your typically tuner car, and is probably driven mostly by older men, there are probably far fewer accidents than with say, a mustang or even a civic...i thought that the ins was going to be bad with it, but it was very very cheap

sandrider123 04-15-2006 04:32 PM

OKay one more question is with a 3 series is premium fuel required or can i get away with the lower octane fuel?

leco516 04-15-2006 09:11 PM

The 3 series is designed to run on regular gas but the dealer that sold me a new 325 advised me to use the fuel additive sold by the dealer to keep the upper engine clean as it has a tendency to foul the exhaust manifold,plugs and cumbustion chamber with soot buildup. They said it builds up rather quickly without this additive. It was not expensive bought by the case but it is a pain in the a$$ to run to the dealer every time you need some and put it in the gas tank. Other than that the car is as advertised,the ultimate driving machine. The brakes and handling will ruin you for any other car. I've owned also a 2002tii and wish I still had it but 1976 cars are about gone now.

andryuha 04-15-2006 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: leco516

The 3 series is designed to run on regular gas but the dealer that sold me a new 325 advised me to use the fuel additive sold by the dealer to keep the upper engine clean as it has a tendency to foul the exhaust manifold,plugs and cumbustion chamber with soot buildup. They said it builds up rather quickly without this additive. It was not expensive bought by the case but it is a pain in the a$$ to run to the dealer every time you need some and put it in the gas tank. Other than that the car is as advertised,the ultimate driving machine. The brakes and handling will ruin you for any other car. I've owned also a 2002tii and wish I still had it but 1976 cars are about gone now.
new 325i? E46 you mean? Because e36 325i had an M50 motor that requires at least 89 gas - any lower and it would ping (due to knock sensors).. Ask me how I know. As for the additives - I never added anything to my car and the valve train looked like it belong to a 40k mile car when i changed the valve cover gasket last summer

leco516 04-16-2006 10:00 AM

When I bought it new it was a 325. The new models now are obviously different. If they require premium fuel now I wouldn't buy it ,ultimate driving machine or not.

06Si 04-16-2006 10:45 AM

My insurance agent told me one time that if you just have liability then your insurance would be the same no matter what kind of car you have, because you are only insuring yourself and the other vehicle. Its when you have full coverage and you are covering your car that will make changes depending on the car.

sandrider123 04-16-2006 02:32 PM

Okay so let me get this straight I can get away with using 89 octane? And since I love to work on my car i will run a fuel system cleaner through it every once in a while. Like seafoam engine treatment or soemthing of the sort. And I am calling my insurance company tomorrow depending on what they say my civic could be up for sale shortly.