HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/lounge-71/)
-   -   Commuter car (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/lounge-71/commuter-car-49063/)

Live_4it 07-30-2007 11:50 PM

Commuter car

My dad got a new Toyota tacoma almost a year ago and uses it to commute to work with. So far he's already put on 36,000 miles, and now is thinking that he needs to get something else to commute with because of gas prices and wear and tear. He goes through something like $400 bucks a month in gas I think he said. He still wants his truck for hauling his bass boat, home depot runs, dump, stuff like that. But has come to the realization that he needs a car aswell.

So, he wants to find a car in the lower 2000 year frame (which would probably cost around $10,000??) but says for it to be worth it (price for getting another vehicle, and time)the car would have to get atleast 40 mpg (don't think it's possible). He doesn't want to get anything too old and cheap cause he doesn't want something to go wrong, have to fix it and then ending up not saveing any money in the long run (makes sense).

But I think he could find an early 90's or mid 90'smodel honda (civic) for a couple thou just check the vehicles pin, eye rust spots make sure it doesn't burn oil (or too much), test the clutch and should do the trick for him even with the number of miles he puts on.

So I dunno he's kind of in a bind because he thought that the truck would do fine for commuting and does get better mpg than a lot of it's competition.... however still very bad to put a lot of miles on for various reasons. Any ideas what he should do?

Scratch mopad or motorcycle already told him that lol

Forty04 07-31-2007 03:53 AM

RE: Commuter car

My car averages about 38mpg, 99 Civic EX Coupe w/z6

Your dad should buy it, seriously

Live_4it 08-01-2007 09:07 AM

Did you do any mods to it forty04?

andryuha 08-02-2007 10:47 PM

He should seriously consider civic and integra. I would go for integra because the MPG is not much worse then civic, but there's a night/day difference in fun factor. I got my buddie's integra rs for a few days and I love it.

liquidrider_3214 08-03-2007 06:29 PM

honestly if it were me i would go with a vw tdi eithere golf orjettathat diesel will get over 40mpg and right now diesels cheaper than gas, not to mention a diesel engine is rated for about 5 times to life of a gas engine and is the ideal commuter car

ic892003 08-03-2007 06:36 PM

since hwen do golfs and jettas run on diesal???

liquidrider_3214 08-03-2007 07:11 PM

jetta and golfs come with a tdi diesel packageturbo direct injectionavailable package putting down like 230 ft pounds of torque while still getting like 45mpg

ic892003 08-03-2007 07:33 PM

vws are gay

liquidrider_3214 08-03-2007 07:46 PM

whether vw's are gay or not was not the question, its engineering that comes in to it, that the cars a commuter car that can get 45 mpg easy, and have an engine that can easily outlast its competion, diesel is cheaper than gas in most places and it will completly smoke any civic stock for stock off the line. so you really dont need to make dick comments like ohh well vw's are gay.

andryuha 08-03-2007 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: liquidrider_3214

jetta and golfs come with a tdi diesel packageturbo direct injectionavailable package putting down like 230 ft pounds of torque while still getting like 45mpg
+1. I forgot about those. However, they are slow as balls.