HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/lounge-71/)
-   -   i swear people need to learn to drive in the winter! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/lounge-71/i-swear-people-need-learn-drive-winter-71888/)

addiction2bass 12-04-2008 05:51 PM

i swear people need to learn to drive in the winter!

9 Attachment(s)
just a little venting..... im tired of people sliding off thru our yard and lately people like hitting our telephone poles!

first off we live off a STRAIGHT AWAY COUNTRY ROAD... last year some chick took out a pole right next to our yard... in a midsize 4door car.

Attachment 23393

and a month ago another chick supposedly..... swerved to miss a rabbit and took out or mail box and sliding sideways thru our whole yard striking the other pole... was a cavilier. no picture tho. was cleaned up before i got home from work. :( she slide sideways and slide along ways before having her back end smack the pole sideways...
this is a picture of it now... she hit our old mailbox and hit that pole in the distance... needless to say she had to have been speeding hardcore!
Attachment 23394

and now last night SOMEONE smashed into pole.
unfortunately i didnt see or even hear it surprisingly... tho i can tell it was from a 2000ish chevy suburban truck :) i found the bowtie and a good fog light bulb.LOL
Attachment 23395
Attachment 23396
Attachment 23397
Attachment 23398
Attachment 23394
Attachment 23400
Attachment 23401

it must have happened late last night because they already replaced the phone box by noon... oddly enough because it took them a month to replace the last one... i guess it smashed the phone box bad enough to trash everyones phone for a emergency repair....

and of course NO NOTES or anything in mailbox or on back door... youd think the cops or power/phone company would leave some kinda note about this bs!
took me 1/2hour to pick up all the pieces of the persons truck outta my driveway and yard :( its to cold out to have to mess with that crap! youd think they would be responsable to do some kinda clean up!

end rant.... at least we got all new poles around our yard now.lol
supposedly they will come out tomorrow to replace the pole. im just suprised they didnt do some kinda suport on the pole! last one that was snaped almost inhalf they used some 4x4s and tiestraps to brace the hole until repair. hell this pole is about to be used as tooth picks!

reaper2022 12-04-2008 06:31 PM

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. To be honest, I'm worried about being on the road at all this winter... not because I doubt my winter driving skills (I did, after all, pass my license test with a perfect score in about 6" of snow :D), not because I have a rwd car, but because I now live in an area with quite a few students at my college that are from the south and have never driven in the snow. For example, before this fall, my friend Will had never been further north than North Carolina; I look for him to be in at least one accident this winter, I'm just hoping he doesn't get hurt.

But yeah, I'm all for people learning to actually control their vehicles in the snow.

jprommel 12-04-2008 07:04 PM

arent you the dude who ****ed up his wheel ****ing around in the snow...

reaper2022 12-04-2008 07:17 PM

Me? No, but are you talking about the thread where someone was messing around in a parking lot and hit a curb? I remember that thread.

I've damaged a wheel on two occasions: 1) pushed rocks through the tire bead (going too fast around a turn, ended up accidentally doing a braking drift, and ended up in a field lol) and 2) I lightly curbed my 17's when a lady in a neon decided she needed part of my lane in addition to her own.

I never lost control of the civic in the snow to the point that I couldn't recover it. Now, the mustang in the snow on the other hand... well, let's just say at half throttle in a straight line in 1st-3rd you get to watch the rpm's spin up to redline, and don't even think of applying more than 2/3 throttle in a turn unless you want to steer with the back wheels :D

jprommel 12-04-2008 07:30 PM

not you chris lol

reaper2022 12-04-2008 07:37 PM

lol I was ready to say... actually, now that I think about it, the thread I'm thinking of was posted before you joined if my memory serves me correctly. Actually, I searched for the thread and couldn't find anything, so who knows... maybe sleep deprivation is getting the best of me and I'm just imagining that thread :D

But anyway, winter driving ftl. People need to learn to slow down sooner, brake lighter, not turn as sharp, slow down in general, get good all seasons at the bare minimum (lol I guess I don't have much room to talk on that one), and be more careful in the winter. I've noticed, for the most part, there's two kinds of drivers in the winter:
1) The over-cautious "half the limit" people who won't break 25mph no matter how little snow has accumulated (I followed a car going literally 25 in a 55 once with a light dusting of snow. Needless to say I passed them at the first opportunity... kind of sad when you can put some distance between yourself and the car you're passing while going 40 :rolleyes:)
2) The ones that seem to forget that snow, slush, and ice are fairly slick, and continue to drive like they're on dry clean roads, going 10 over the limit and barely letting off the gas for turns.

addiction2bass 12-05-2008 06:00 AM

well yes i did spin and BUMP a curb last year..... BUT that was in a empty parking lot while i was having fun by myself on the fresh powder. ;)
and technically even tho it did damage the hubcap..... the impact did straighten out my bad caster ;) so technically it fixed my suspension.LMFAO

a curb im not worried about..... i dont act stupid when theres poles around that area!

its bad enough out here in the country with mailbox bashers and some offroading thru our yard in the summer, and lately someone has been using pumpkins as ammo and throwing them at mailboxes breaking the cheap ones. and theres not even any stop signs for about 1/2a mile!

when i started driving 13years ago i drove my 66impala and ive NEVER ran off the road or hit anything by accident! and a 66impala is a big mother! and plenty of power to spin the tires off!
and only time i drove off road on purpose in the winter was when i was driving my dads 86blazer 4x4 and i cut a corner by going thru a corn field with friends having fun.lol in the winter so no crop no damage to his field.

but again i dont see what the problem is with driving in the snow ON A STRAIGHT AWAY!!!!! i could see on a curve.... but not on a straight away road!

redhotchevy2000 12-05-2008 08:26 AM

do what everybody around me does...
brick mailboxes.

or the new trend is a 10' steel pole (about a foot across) sunk 6 feet into the ground, then put a mailbox on top of it encased in another steel pole.

they never have to replace the mailbox thats for damn sure. haha

i hate winter drivers, the ones who drive to fast shouldnt be driving, and the ones who drive to slow only cause more problems when you mix normal drivers, fast drivers, and the slow crowd. especially when it is in maryland or Pennsylvania where there are no right turn lanes for the most part.

addiction2bass 12-05-2008 08:47 AM

ya i did think about bricken around it but its to cold out to do all of that.... maybe in the spring.
right now the electrical company is pulling the old pole and blocking my driveway for the next few hours :( but i asked him to let me have the busted pole... i can use it for a curb or just used to calk wheels on cars out back... or something.LOL its a big @ss pole i can find something to do with it... i just hope they dont shut off my power!
but so far its just 7-8 guys out there standing around looking up at the pole for the last hour.LOL

StifflersMom 12-06-2008 06:17 PM

We had a bit of snow and I had a Wrangler spin out and hit my car in the rear door. no damage at all surprisingly. But how the hell do you spin a wrangler out??? I'm on summer tires with an overpowered car and I have no problems at all...learn to effin drive people.