HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/lounge-71/)
-   -   MMA anybody? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/lounge-71/mma-anybody-49548/)

andryuha 08-07-2007 07:23 AM

MMA anybody?

I just joined a gym a few days ago and I can't describe how fun it is. The downsides are that it costs $120/month and there are training sessions daily. So far, I had a chance to train in boxing, muay thai and grappling (they teach different things on different days of the week and have sparring sessions on fridays)

kokasian 08-07-2007 08:38 AM

RE: MMA anybody?

i got a chance to watch some real muay thai, those dudes are some bad men. One guy borke his shin on another guy's face, it was awesome. If you get good at it, you can whoop up on some people, lol. Me..my self defence involves curling in a ball until the bad men stop

johnny 08-07-2007 11:40 AM

i wanna do that stuff, I watch UFC like all the time[8D]

andryuha 08-07-2007 01:59 PM

ORIGINAL: johnny

i wanna do that stuff, I watch UFC like all the time[8D]
you should do it. At first I was a bit nervous. I'm a bit of a women since I was afraid of getting hit. I was surprised how fast that fear went away. We were sparring (we were just boxing) with my friend and started off lightly. Once we got into it, we started throwing full force punches. It's really not that bad. They teach you how to blcok properly and take hits and make them hurt less. I think the biggets problem for me is that this stuff is addicting and time consuming. I have practices 5 times a week (2hrs each). It will be really difficult when I start school, since I'm taking 18 units. I don't have much free time either becausein addition to all of that, I also have to work.

johnny 08-07-2007 06:09 PM

Woah, i always thought i was at a disadvantage though, Im 6'3 210

windcalmer 08-07-2007 06:17 PM

I know, speaking from experience, I would rather fight a guy taller than me. I hate fighting short guys. They don't loose anything on their punches coming up with them, but its hard to hit someone shorter than you with a ton of power. Now granted, that is street fighting I am talking about. It might be different in the ring. I am 6' 1" and fighting guys like 5' 5" is a pain in the ***. LOL I will admit I got knocked the **** out by this guy that couldn't have been 5' 4". So just keep that in mind if you are really tall. Just train for it.

andryuha 08-07-2007 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: windcalmer

I know, speaking from experience, I would rather fight a guy taller than me. I hate fighting short guys. They don't loose anything on their punches coming up with them, but its hard to hit someone shorter than you with a ton of power. Now granted, that is street fighting I am talking about. It might be different in the ring. I am 6' 1" and fighting guys like 5' 5" is a pain in the ***. LOL I will admit I got knocked the **** out by this guy that couldn't have been 5' 4". So just keep that in mind if you are really tall. Just train for it.
yep, fighting against shorter guys is a bit of a problem. I would just use some sort of a submission on them. My size puts me in a very difficult category. I'm 6'2" and 185lbs.

We had a BJJ practice today and I was surprised how easily you could put a person to sleep (of course, it's not quite that easy to do this on a trained person).

Forty04 08-08-2007 02:50 AM

If I had the time and money I'd definitely get back into fighting. I've got two black belts, throws and submissions aren't a problem, I'd just need a **** load more practice in striking/boxing.

I'm the "little guy" you guys don't want to fight, lol...5'7" 175lbs