The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

New Update on Y8 S2 mani swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:35 PM
Default New Update on Y8 S2 mani swap

OK so yeah that being able to drive the car was a bit of a fluke, I tried to drive it up to the gas station today to fill it up and I was having trouble w/ the throttle; w/out load the throttle was fine and also in reverse there was no problem, but when I put it into first and attempt to let off the clutch and push in the accelerator pedal normally, the engine rpms would drop nearly to 0 and if I didn't depress the clutch again the engine would stall. Also I am throwing a PCV leak and a MAP sensor circuit voltage higher than expected. Both my mech and I believe this is due to the PCV leak (which I do not know where it is coming from; I checked all hoses and they are secure, so I can only assume that the valve itself or the air/oil seperator is damaged or needs cleaning). Also the extender piece I had to add to make the throttle body fit is aiding the problem; here is why I am lead to believe this, although the car will stall and throttle will drop rpms by normally letting out the clutch and depressing the accelerator, if I rev to ~4k there is no problem driving the car and once the car is moving as long as the rpms are above ~3-3.5 it runs smoothly. So my plan now is to replace the PCV valve and clean out the air/oil seperator, reseal it and shorten the extender piece as much as possible (I think I can get it down to ~2 inches; hopefully less; seperating manifold from throttle body). My thoughts on the MAP sensor also leads me to believe that the extender piece is involved w/ the problem, but it could also be the gaskets I had to make, so while I'm shortening the extender I'm going to double check that there is nothing blocking the MAP sensor grove on the bottom of the TB. Unfortunately my welder can't fit me in until the end of the month, so it's going to be a bit longer till this is all said and done; but I believe that after checking, replacing and fixing the above listed and w/ the installation of my AEM UEGO I will have my 'vic running nicely and will finally be ready for N2O.

If anyone has any suggestions that could aid in any way please feel free to post here.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:14 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: New Update on Y8 S2 mani swap

Holy hell. You know my S2 mani gave (is giving) me fits too. Mostly an idle lope though. Make sure that you have all the connectors going to the right places. I know that sounds silly but 4 of them will plug into each other. Just double check them.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:58 AM

Connectors meaning hoses? If so I'm sure they are correct, 1 to PCV vavle, 1 to FPR/NPR, and 1 to EVAP; the other is plugged, those were the only 3 hoses coming off my OEM mani. The 2 connectors on the injector flange are looped back on each other (didn't know what else to do, OEM mani didn't have that going anywhere, it merely was routed around the injector plate but didn't lead to an outside source.). As for any sensors, there are none coming off the mani itself, expect for the hoses leading to the IACV which are temporarily plugged bc for whatever reason thats giving the least amount of trouble (that will be fixed later this summer once I get some cash, I figured out a way to use my 7th gen IACV but I need some pipe bent and a plate made to connect my sensor to). And all holes that would could bring in air from the outside are plugged.

I really think that the rmp/throttle problem is due to that extender piece being so long, heres a pick for those who may have not seen it yet. The yellow line is approximately how much I believe I can shorten it to (it may be a bit shorter than that but not longer).

[IMG]local://upfiles/4662/0B716D4BC5154F72AA412CA5062AEC6E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-15-2006, 11:14 AM
HCF Member

I gotta say that this all sounds like a giant pain in the *** that I would never want to attempt.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Cat Fuсker

you're just lazy

Old 06-15-2006, 01:07 PM

^ it has been a giant PITA but there was a point months ago when I was still trying to get the manifold to fit that I came to a junction of go forward or stop and go back to stock manifold, me being a dumb kraut (polish&german; thats stupid and stubborn for those scratching your heads) I said f* this I'm finishing this no matter what. Hey I look at it this way, once this is all said and done I can truely claim I have a unique civic.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

yeah you do^^

Old 06-15-2006, 02:08 PM
HCF Member

I didn't mean hoses. I meant clips. The TPS and MAP clips will plug right into one another and will jack up your throttle. Also the IAT, IACV, and that little solenoid thingy will all plug into one another.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:22 PM
HCF Member

What a lot of work, I hope it works out. I have to say it was fairly easy putting mine on, just a few modifcations sk2 failed to include in their pointless instructions.
Dont know how you could mess up the vacuum and sensor's putting one on a z6/y8 though.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:04 PM

Oh yeah clips are fine, I'm using a TPS from a 5th gen and my 7th gen MAP, the IACV is from a 5th gen also but it's only hooked up electrically(it's a two wire so the ground wire*7th gen* is connected to the TPS) and coolants so clips aren't a problem.

<Edit> I just took off the extender and looked at the gaskets, the MAP groove appeared that it may have been closed, so I cut out that part of the gasket; I called my welder and Monday I'm going to get that extender piece shortened, I replaced some hoses on the PVC from the head *not valve itself* and clamped everything nice and tight so Monday hopefully I'll be able to put it back together and see where I stand.

Quick Reply: New Update on Y8 S2 mani swap