Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'00 Civic shuts off when A/C is turned on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Default '00 Civic shuts off when A/C is turned on?

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums. I have to admit that I don't own a Honda myself, although I've owned many in the past. In fact, my favorite car ever was my '93 Accord coupe 5 speed. But that's neither here nor there.

My girlfriend currently owns a 2000 Honda Civic which began having a very strange problem yesterday. While she was driving to work, she said that out of no where the car began making a noise like she had run something over and was dragging it behind her. She pulled over, checked the car and nothing seemed wrong with it; no flat tires, etc. She began driving again and after a few minutes, the car shut off in the middle of the road. She turned the A/C off and the car started right back up, but when she tried to turn the A/C back on, the car made a horrible screeching noise and shut off again. Apparently any time the A/C is running, the car wont. This is particularly bad news, because we live in Arizona, where lately temperatures have been in excess of 110 F.

Has anyone experienced this before? Does anyone know what might be going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.