Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic with K swap; AC isn't working as it should

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Unhappy 98 Civic with K swap; AC isn't working as it should

Long story, but here goes.

So I have a K swap in my 98 Honda civic sedan with Kpro V4. I recently installed the Hybrid Racing K swap AC kit because I will be driving it from Texas to Georgia, and I’m not trying to dehydrate on the way.

I used to have a 98 Integra Type-R motor in my car with ice-cold AC. With that, I am assuming my original wires in the harness are still good. The new AC set up requires an Acura RSX AC compressor, custom lines, and a relay wired in between the ECU and wire harness. With everything installed correctly, system vacuumed, pressure checked, and filled, and with the AC button on in the climate control the AC compressor doesn’t engage. The condenser fan comes on and the green light is lit for the controls but no ice-cold AC comes out.

I have checked the relays and swapped them in each of the sockets (i.e. condenser relay in AC clutch relay socket) and they check out. Fuse 17 and 56 are good as well. When I jump 12v power to the compressor the clutch engages with the click/tick sound. It even blows cold air with the engine running and 12v directly to the compressor, but the car idles very low when that happens.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I don’t think it’s the AC pressure switch because I get proper voltage and continuity at the female and male ends of the plug and switch.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.