Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1994 honda civic need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Default 1994 honda civic need help

ok people, im new here and figured i would ask whats going on. ok my girfriends car is leaking antifreeze and i can smell it burning. we have replaced the radiator and hoses and thermostat. almost everytime we start the car it smokes and runs like crap, her dad did a compression test and said the head gasket is not blown, and there is not chocolate milky stuff in the oil. but it still burns antifreeze and leaks it somehow, but the coolant hoses stay pressured. and there is no vissible leaks. i was wanting to know if anyone has heard of this problem and if there is anyway to fix it. im pretty sure its not a head gasket or cracked block or head. after the car runs for a few min, it starts to run normal and drives fine. only when the coolant level gets low does it start to overheat. so i just fill it up. any held would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like a relatively small leak in the head gasket. Cylinder leakdown test should find it. This test is done with engine stopped, put air pressure in cylinders one at a time and watch for bubbles in radiator. The hose from most compression testers can be connected to an air compressor for that purpose.

It takes a more major leak to affect compression or get coolant into the oil.