HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   1995 Civic #4 cylinder is dead!!! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/1995-civic-4-cylinder-dead-72030/)

WellFedHobo 12-16-2008 11:35 AM

You'll need to look for a square green rubber thing somewhere above the ecu. It holds the connector. It'll have a blue plug, if I remember my 5th gens correctly. It'll be the only thing around there with two wires going to it.

nasoj007 12-17-2008 04:56 PM

I think I already know the answer to this but I'm going to ask anyway. Will the computer out of a '93 standard work in a '95 auto? I have access to one and thought it might be a fairly quick way to see if I have a computer issue.

WellFedHobo 12-17-2008 11:36 PM

It needs to be the same type of ecu. A manual one won't work right on an auto car. But, if you're only trying to make the engine run, not drive... it might work? Anyone else know?

mk378 12-18-2008 06:23 PM

You can't switch ECUs manual to auto. The car will run, but the transmission won't shift right and the CEL will come on.

WellFedHobo 12-18-2008 07:26 PM

In other words, he could toss it in there to test the engine and see if it runs, but not to drive anywhere. And since the CEL is stored in the ECU, he could swap back to the other ECU and have no CEL.

nasoj007 12-19-2008 09:42 AM

So I broke down and took the car into a shop to see what they thought. After some tests it was determind that the signal going to the #4 cyl was weak and intermitent. They concluded that the ECU or the sensor in the distributor was bad. I believe I already have a 'how to' for testing the ECU now I just have to track one down for the distributor. I'll keep you posted.

RonJ 12-19-2008 10:06 AM

What signal? Did the mechanic say that spark for cylinder 4 is weak and intermittent?

nasoj007 12-19-2008 12:31 PM

Sorry mobile post lol. It was the signal to the injector that was weak and sometimes it wasn't there for a pulse or 2. They figure its the ECU but he said if I had access to a distributor to try it first.

RonJ 12-19-2008 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by nasoj007 (Post 611330)
...They figure its the ECU but he said if I had access to a distributor to try it first.

This is a curious suggestion as the distributor has nothing to do with the fuel injectors.

nasoj007 12-19-2008 02:11 PM

He said the distributor was a long shot but if I knew someone that had one laying around it might be worth a try. He said there was a pickup or sensor in the distributor that might be going. That being said he didn't know how it would effect the one injector and he stressed that it was most likely a faulty ECU. Me's thinks ECU might translate in $$$ unless I can find a used replacement (or a parts car). We'll see tomorrow. :D