Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Civic lx - electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Default 1998 Civic lx - electrical problems

Hello, this is my first time posting to this site, but I am in dire need of help.
I'm having some electrical issues with my car, and here's what they are...

1st: my passenger power mirror will not work, it is not receiving power. I have replaced the fuse - no luck. I also replaced the mirror with a new one, No luck... Then I replaced the control switch.... No luck.... My window and lock on the passenger door work fine... What is going on???

2nd: My rear window defroster will not work. No power. I replaced the fuse, no luck... I replaced the relay switch... No luck.... Any help appreciated!!

3rd: My last problem is my dash lights which illuminate the heating and air conditioning controls... Sometimes it lights up, sometimes it doesn't. I have noticed that when it doesn't light up, sometimes, when I switch the temp from cold to hot, boom, it lights up... Sometimes it doesn't.

Can someone please help me with these electrical issues!!!!

Old 01-27-2012, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

Check the fuse panel and your electrical wires/circuits out side the car in the engine compartment.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

1. Could have broken wires between the door and the rest of the car. Open the door, hold the button down, and wiggle the wires to see if the mirror starts to move.

2. Turn on the key and press the button, then measure at the window to see if voltage is coming in. If there's voltage, but it doesn't heat, the grid may have been damaged by improperly cleaning the inside of the window. If no voltage, check the fuse and relay in the box near the battery. There are two fuses, one runs the control circuit with the button and the one under the hood runs the actual power to the grid. Also if it's a hatchback, the wires between the hatch and the car could have broken like the driver's door mirror above.

3. Probably just bad bulbs, or cracked solder on the circuit board of the control panel. The panel must be removed from the car to replace the bulbs.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the help!
I will try what you said and post the results..
As far as fuses under dash and under hood for back heat grid, I replaced both, and am still not receiving power to it.
Tonight I will pull apart my dash and see what's going on back there, and replace the bulbs, hopefully I have good results.