Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Honda Civic A/c Not working

Old 04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
HCF Member
Default 1998 Honda Civic A/c Not working

Hello

Need help here. No cool air. It only blows normal air. Refrigerant pressure seems ok. (I tried to recharge with the R134a recharge kit, but the pressure gauge shows good PSI.) When I switch on the A/C, the condenser fan comes on. So no problem with the fan. Checked the fuse in the box under the steering wheel and seems ok

What could be the problem? The compressor clutch relay ?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the compressor clutch relay and the pressure switch.

Name:  picture_4656.jpg
Views: 37774
Size:  72.3 KB

Old 04-20-2010, 01:27 PM
HCF Member

Thanks Ron for your help

I know the location of compressor clutch relay under the hood. could I simply short terminals 1 and 2 in the socket and see if it solves the problem?

Where exactly the pressure switch is located and how do i test it? I don't have volt meter

Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Love_Honda
Thanks Ron for your help

I know the location of compressor clutch relay under the hood. could I simply short terminals 1 and 2 in the socket and see if it solves the problem?

Where exactly the pressure switch is located and how do i test it? I don't have volt meter
-Briefly short socket 4 (or 2) to socket 1 to see whether the clutch engages.

-Swap the fan and clutch relays (they are interchangeable) to see whether the fan now fails to run.

-Disconnect the pressure switch and briefly short the 2P plug terminals with a jumper wire to see whether the clutch engages.

Name:  picture_4707.jpg
Views: 45099
Size:  93.1 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 04-20-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

Ron: Engine was ON and A/C was on and here are the results

1) When I shorted socket 2 and 1 in compressor clutch relay , the clutch engages and I can feel the cold!
2) I swapped the fan and clutch relays and the condenser fan runs fine.
3)Disconnected the pressure switch and briefly shorted the 2P plug terminals with a jumper wire - The clutch DID NOT engage

Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Look at the circuit diagram.

Test 1: Socket 3 of the clutch relay uses the Blk/Red wire to ground at pin A17 of the ECU. Unplug ECU connector A and turn the key to ON(II). Do you measure battery voltage at terminal A17 of the ECU connector? (If so, the ECU may be bad.)

Test 2: Unplug the pressure switch and ground terminal 2 in the free wire harness connector. Does the A/C now blow cold when turned on?

Last edited by RonJ; 04-20-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:10 PM
HCF Member

Thanks Ron. Can you please elaborate what do you mean by "ground terminal 2 in the free wire harness connector." There are two terminals in the pressure switch socket. How to identify which is terminal 2? also what is free wire harness connector.? I dont have a volt meter. Just placed an order at Amazon. Is there anything that I can do without a voltmeter?

Old 04-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Terminal 2 is associated with the Blu/Red wire in the plug. Insert a jumper wire into that socket and ground the other end of the wire against a clean metallic part of the engine.

In the meantime, buy an inexpensive test light at Walmart, etc. to detect voltage at A17.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 PM
HCF Member

Ron

Apologize for the delay. Been traveling and this work has taken a back seat. I am trying to locate ECU connector A. Where exactly this is located?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Love_Honda
Ron

Apologize for the delay. Been traveling and this work has taken a back seat. I am trying to locate ECU connector A. Where exactly this is located?

Thanks

http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring...schematics.gif

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Honda Civic A/c Not working