HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   2002 CIVIC EX constantly stops/stalls/zero power in the middle of highway (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/2002-civic-ex-constantly-stops-stalls-zero-power-middle-highway-89243/)

lnarthur 06-08-2011 02:16 PM

2002 CIVIC EX constantly stops/stalls/zero power in the middle of highway

Dear Forumers,

I need help, have run out of options.

My 2002 honda civic EX has been dropping in power/stalling/stopping on the highway after I drive for 30min or more. Its drops from 70mph to 10mph, and it will only drive ok after I sit the car down/stop/cool for at least 45min. The problem comes right back soon after i drive for 15min after cooling/stopping/resting the car.

This is what I have done so far.

1. I went to Honda dealer Ed-voyles honda and got a diagnosis
they told me the code was O2 sensor and it could also be the Catalytic converter

2. I changed both O2 sensors as well as the whole catalytic converter but the problem was not solved.

3. I came to this forum to find possible causes of this problem... and since then I have changed the following based on what I read here
a)I changed the Fuel filter and checked the fuel pump to make sure its working (and it does works fine) I switched the gas from regular to premium and put in engine cleaning fluid in there and tried to run the car for a while

b) I took apart the air intake manifold and cleaned the whole system and tried to test the throttle position sensor as well

c) I have changed the ignition switch with brand new one from honda
d) I have changed the ignition coils with brand new ones from honda
e) I have put in brand new iridium spark plugs
f) I have changed the thermostat
g) I have changed the engine coolant temperature sensor
h) I have changed the main relay (three relays under the glove compartment- 1 blue= fuel relay, 2 brown =engine relay 3 black = ??)

i) I found the connection to the alternator was broken and loosened, so I got a new connection plug, but unfortunately found the alternator was bad. I have replaced the alternator ($170 total) and thought that would fix the problem, but unfortunately the problem persist. This past sunday June 26, I was driving on the Highway going about 65mpg and about 30min into my drive the car dropped from 65mpg to 10mpg and would not pull even with the peddle pressed all the way to the floor....

Please someone help me. Please am spending too much and still no solution please please if you know a good mechanic in the metro atlanta area please let me know.

Please can anyone help me solve this problem. I desperately need help.

Thanks

lnarthur

sacauxlait 09-06-2012 07:24 AM

Did you ever find an answer to your problem...? My 2002 Honda Civic is doing the same thing. Seems to only do it when air temperature is above 90 degrees. Runs fine after it sits for a while! Changed fuel pump sensors but no luck... My brother works for Honda as a mechanic and can not isolate the problem. No codes show up on the computer! I have also changed the entire exhaust system.

There does not appear tp be very much knowledge of this problem!

mk378 09-06-2012 07:29 AM

If you're going to blindly replace parts, start with the crank and cam sensors, they are critical to the engine running at all. Usually though a code will be thrown. If no codes ever show up (even if you intentionally cause one by for example unplugging an O2 sensor), the ECU may not be getting power from the back up circuit. It needs constant power from the battery to remember codes.

Mike Parker 09-06-2012 03:06 PM

Sounds like a bad TDC Sensor. I had the same issue as you in my 2001 and found that to be the issue. Hope this leads you in the correct direction.

rekomstop209 09-06-2012 07:14 PM

You say you checked your fuel pump and it was fine, but that doesn't mean it isn't faulty. Fuel pumps usually do not just fail, they intermittently fail for a few seconds and then could work again for 2 weeks straight before failing again. This is probably not the problem, but just keep it in mind.

Also here is a story for you that happen to someone I know. Their honda would stall just like yours, and after letting the car sit for a bit, it would start up again and drive for a bit and then stall. After weeks of troubleshooting, he finally dropped the gas tank and found a condom in it. Apparently, every so often, the fuel pump would suck up the condom, preventing any fuel from reaching the engine. The engine would die and after the car sat for a bit, the condom would move away from the fuel pump and he was able to start the car again, but eventually the condom would make its way back to the fuel pump and block it. Really messed up that someone did that to him, I hope thats not whats happening with your car.

sacauxlait 09-06-2012 07:29 PM

I hope not! lol... I consider myself to be a fairly decent mechanic but this is stomping me! The code that pops up is the post cat sensor. However, that one should not have much influence on the problem at hand! A few days ago the light on the factory radio would go off when I turned on the head lights but would brighten up when the A/C cycled on and immediately dim again. Perhaps my problem is confined to the switch! I am going to change it tomorrow and see what happens!

sacauxlait 09-07-2012 01:00 PM

Ok... Here is the latest update... Car stalled again this morning this time I was able to obtain various cades as I had my computer with me when it stalled... Here are the Codes PO-336, Po-1361, PO-1362,PO-128...

s_chev 10-05-2014 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by sacauxlait (Post 781793)
Ok... Here is the latest update... Car stalled again this morning this time I was able to obtain various cades as I had my computer with me when it stalled... Here are the Codes PO-336, Po-1361, PO-1362,PO-128...

I realize that this thread is over 2 years old, but my son's 1999 civic LX is having a similar problem. Random loss of power while driving down the road and then it comes back. It also randomly won't start and then it does.
Changed fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, dist cap/rotor, plugs and plug wires and ecu.
We are clueless now.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

tunehound 09-14-2016 01:56 PM

Desperate Honda Chic

Its an older thread, but did u ever narrow down your issue? My 96 EX has 305,000+mi and has started the same stuff yours was doing. Unfortunately my Civic throws NO CODES. I have a feeling it is a sensor but without codes its a little tricky. Also, my Honda has the strangest electrical quirks, always has, everything that goes through my dash, always comes through wonky. Think my ECU isnt talking to me...hopin for a reply.

diyDave 10-19-2022 01:36 PM

Did you ever fix your problem? I'm having the same problem. After replacing the fuel filter, fuel pump, main relay, icm, coil, cap and rotor and even the ecm, nothing has worked. I'm leaning towards the sensors in the distributor (CKP, TCD, CYP) which are non-serviceable or the crank sensor down by the oil pump. But no codes have been thrown and my car still stalls after about an hour of driving and it's hard to restart unless I let it cool down for a couple of hours.

My Civic is a 1998 Civic, manual transmission which uses a distributor.