Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Misfires! Troubleshooting help plz?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Default Misfires! Troubleshooting help plz?

So I rolled up to a stop light. Had the music going loud. Thought the idle felt funny, but didn't think much of it. Drove on. At the next light, I noticed it again so I killed the music and listened. Sounded and felt like a misfire but no CEL. Started accelerating and it went away. Drove a half mile, it came back, flashing CEL started. Had to drive it that way for like 5 miles to get home. Hope I didn't kill the catalytic converter.

At home, started troubleshooting. Spark appears blue on all 4 cylinders. Pulled the plugs 1 by 1. Cylinder 1 is dead. 2-4 are good. The plugs looked ok but I cleaned them up a little anyways. Swapped plugs in 1 and 2. Both stopped working. Swapped plugs back. Swapped wires on 1 and 2. Both are still dead. So I've got a two cylinder Civic sitting at my parents house right now.

My best guess is plugs and wires. I plan to swap those tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. If not, go from there. If the spark is still blue, does it sound more like the dizzy cap? And I've gone about 5 years on this set of plugs and wires. Guess they had a good run?

(Haven't pulled CEL codes yet. I lack a paperclip or suitable wire.)