Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Honda Civic - replacing a/c system, expansion valve under dashboard dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Default 2007 Honda Civic - replacing a/c system, expansion valve under dashboard dash

2007 Honda Civic LX 4 door 1.8 liter, manual 5-speed, 145K, my daily driver.

We are replacing my entire a/c system and I need help with getting access to the expansion valve under the dash in order to replace it.

To give some history: the old compressor stopped working properly about a 2 months ago. The fan was ok and blew fine, but the air would start blowing warm for about 20 mins then gradually come back to cold, then warm for longer, then cold, until it mostly blew warm after a couple weeks of this behavior.

Honda initially diagnosed the suction line going to the compressor as having a leak at one of the rubber hose to metal line crimps. After getting the line replaced and the system recharged, it blew cold for the ride home but the next day it was blowing warm again, temp **** on coldest, fan on high. I took it back and they then said the clutch part of the compressor was failing. The cost to replace the compressor was too much for my budget, so I let it be driven (foolishly) for another several weeks until the compressor / clutch siezed. Oh, the smaller rubber hose / metal line also blew a week after getting the thicker one replaced.

Yesterday a good friend of mine was able to come over and give me a hand. We removed the compressor. We had to remove the alternator, as well as the driver side fan and top bracket for better access to and to make room for removing the compressor.

So, we got the new compressor in, alternator back on, new condensor in place, and we want to also replace the expansion valve. As it turns out, it is under the dashboard on the passenger side.

The dashboard needs to be removed, and it is in layers. The top layer is comprised of the dash panels themselves, stereo system, and instrument clusters, and a few other bits and pieces. It is critical to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, being that the passenger side air bag is in the passenger part of the dash, which we are also removing as part of the right dash panel.

So, we have the top layer off. Then the next layer is an underlying metal bracket structure (don't know what else to call it) that spans the entire dashboard. We have removed any screws that we can see, we even removed the pillar panels (side upper airbags underneath). But, that metal bracket structure is still hung up on something.

We wonder if it is connected to the tubular reinforcement bars that are under this second layer metal bracket system? On the right side we have removed the long bolts that go into the metal tubular frame, and there are some threaded nuts that u have to use an open ended wrench to turn. We are not sure if it is necessary to remove this tubular structure, but this is where we left off:

We are stuck at this point at the moment and I am researching how to get this part out, or if it is even necessary.

Any ideas?

Thx

Old 07-30-2012, 03:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

All you had to do is adjust the clutch gap on the old compressor. A zero dollar fix if you know what to do.

Also the TXV should R&R from the engine side of the firewall, as it is right behind the place where the lines go through. Did you try that? Taking the dash all apart is only necessary if the evaporator itself needs replacement.

But again, it sounds like the only problem ever was a slightly worn clutch that refuses to engage once it gets hot, which is a common problem easily resolved by taking out some shim washers to make the gap smaller.

Last edited by mk378; 07-30-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
All you had to do is adjust the clutch gap on the old compressor. A zero dollar fix if you know what to do.

Also the TXV should R&R from the engine side of the firewall, as it is right behind the place where the lines go through. Did you try that? Taking the dash all apart is only necessary if the evaporator itself needs replacement.

But again, it sounds like the only problem ever was a slightly worn clutch that refuses to engage once it gets hot, which is a common problem easily resolved by taking out some shim washers to make the gap smaller.

Please spell out the acronyms.

TXV = the expansion valve?

R&R = rest and relaxation?

TIA = thx in advance,
Dan

Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Thermostatic eXpansion Valve
Remove & Replace

If I were in your shoes I'd put the car all back together and start over. Don't mess with the TXV at all. Adjust the clutch on the old compressor and reinstall it. Check system for leaks. Evacuate and recharge with refrigerant. It's likely to work perfectly.

Last edited by mk378; 07-30-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
Thermostatic eXpansion Valve
Remove & Replace

If I were in your shoes I'd put the car all back together and start over. Don't mess with the TXV at all. Adjust the clutch on the old compressor and reinstall it. Check system for leaks. Evacuate and recharge with refrigerant. It's likely to work perfectly.
The old compressor is shredded, it seized and smoked and could have caught on fire that it got so hot! There are metal filings all thru the system, I am certain that I need to replace all the parts that I bought.