Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 Civic EX shut off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 05:33 AM
Default 2008 Civic EX shut off while driving

I recognize that this topic has been visited before, but I'm posting up anyway only because the response may be different for my specific model year.

Five minutes into a commute this morning, my Civic's engine shut off. I was going a steady 40 mph at the time and was able to pull over to the shoulder despite losing power steering. The electronics (such as the stereo) continued to function. After waiting about 6-7 minutes, it started again and I continued driving. I went directly to a nearby AutoZone, and the battery and alternator checked out to be strong.

I've read on this forum that the fuel module (not sure of the exact proper name) located near the brake pedal may be the culprit. Can someone chime in on what the likely problem is? What should I check? Also, is this a "known thing" with the 2008 model year? (I'm assuming there are no recalls for the fuel module.) Thanks.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:49 AM

Followup: I've had a mechanic diagnose the problem. The electrical connector to the fuel pump had heated to the point where the plastic started to melt! The fuel pump went bad, and so it must be replaced. Apparently, the pump's life was cut short when it was not kept submerged in the gas tank -- a problem common to all vehicles, according to the mechanic. The fuel acts as a coolant, so it's important to not let your gas level fall below half tank on a regular basis. Lesson learned....keep the fuel pump submerged. Now, as to why this is not common knowledge among all drivers, I have no idea.