Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel pump replacement issue

Old 09-29-2018, 05:02 PM
HCF Member
Default Fuel pump replacement issue

There are many different possible fuel pumps for the 2004 Honda Civic EX, coupe, 2 door, srs, California emissions. Not all of them are rated for California emissions.

Here is the problem.This is a California car which is now in Utah. The pump housing (plastic) cracks at the top and leaks fuel, a common Civic problem. And thus there is a fuel smell around the car.

Honda Parts Now has two pumps listed.#47 https://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?Vin=1HGEM22014L037342&Filter=()&Su bCategoryUrl=fuel-tank&Diagram=&PartNumbers=&PNC=47

I have been led to believe by aftermarket part sellers that the California car uses a different fuel pump or set up different from the 49 state car.

Aftermarket sellers say oem is Bosch.The Utah Honda dealer says it's part no 17045-S5A-A31 for $464. The California Honda dealer says it's part no 17045-S5A-A00 for $507.

Those two show as Kautex and Yachiyo, manufacturers I suppose. The aftermarket parts are a lot cheaper, but some of them say “not for California Emissions.” I believe the Utah dealer will sell me the Utah or 49 state pump, which may set a code and check engine light. And disable the vapor recovery system which I'd rather not do

.Do you have any answer or know who I could ask?Honda Customer Service thinks the solution is for me to buy a new Honda. The parts guys don't know.Does the California car use a different fuel pump? Why does Honda list two? Only one shows in each state at the dealer on the parts list.The discount online Honda parts list shows two.

On Amazon I see, for $29 a filter for the pump. It's just the top part of the entire assembly. I would like to have an all new pump, but the price is high and it's easy to change the pump at any time. But I need to know if I can just change that top filter part, and stop the leak at the top of the pump, or does the California emissions make that impossible.Thanks David

Last edited by david13; 09-29-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:30 AM
HCF Member

In your case, I'd have to look at Hondapartsnow.com, or majestichonda.com, and see if there's any differences in the plumbing out of the pump unit, before buying anything. I don't really think the pump itself is different, but the unit housing (plastic part that leaks) for the pump could be different. If I were just replacing the pump only, I'd go with a Denso pump (best quality pump).
OK, I just looked at their site, and it's only a drawing, which is no help. You could try using those 2 part numbers, and go to e-bay and see if there's anyone selling either and has pics of it.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 10-08-2018 at 08:36 AM.