Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Default CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR HELP!!!

Hi there,

I have a civic 1.8 vti aerodeck T reg (U.K), been getting the eml light come on in the mornings, but found that if I let the engine warm a little bit I can turn the ignition off, then start the engine again and the light will stay off for the rest of the day (unless the engine cools right down again). Took the car to Honda dealership today and had them do a diagnostics test which came back as needing a new crank shaft position sensor which they priced at £587.40 inc fitting!!!! :O

I'm going to find a cheaper sensor from somewhere else if I can, and fit it myself but I'm confused as to where the fXXk the sensor is on my car, I thought it would be on the crankshaft at some point but according to my Haynes manual the sensor is found in the distributor, the only sensor I can find there is what I think to be the cam shaft sensor?
The manual says some thing about there being three sensors which pick up three different speeds etc etc so now I'm really confused....... Help me please!!!!

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR HELP!!!

If the CKP sensor in the distributor is bad, the entire distributor assembly must be replaced.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR HELP!!!

... And that is kind of expensive, though a rebuilt one here in the US is well less than $300 for the part only; it takes about 30 minutes to install it and adjust the timing.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
If the CKP sensor in the distributor is bad, the entire distributor assembly must be replaced.
I'm having trouble with my daughter's 2000 Honda Civic and I got a code for the CKP sensor. It seems there's some confusion between the camshaft sensor (CMP) on the distributor and the crankshaft position sensor (CKP).

I don't know much about Honda's so this is making it more difficult.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I'm confused too. The 2000 has the same set of 3 sensors in the distributor which control all spark timing. The one on the crank was added only to detect if the timing belt has skipped.

Look at the wires near the crank sensor, if someone didn't put back properly after working on the timing belt, they can get caught in the pulleys and cut. You can also unplug that sensor and start the engine (should run without it) and see if any new codes appear.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
I'm educating myself further on this. A guy at my local AutoZone sold me what he called a 'crankshaft position sensor' but it, as it turns out, was actually a crankshaft speed fluctuation sensor (CKF) (as labeled in the manual). So this is the source of my confusion...

I'll need to start a new thread I guess.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
I'm confused too. The 2000 has the same set of 3 sensors in the distributor which control all spark timing. The one on the crank was added only to detect if the timing belt has skipped.

Look at the wires near the crank sensor, if someone didn't put back properly after working on the timing belt, they can get caught in the pulleys and cut. You can also unplug that sensor and start the engine (should run without it) and see if any new codes appear.
Yea, I didn't see any damage. I'll try disconnecting it later today, see what codes pop-up.