Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

87 Sunroof problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Default 87 Sunroof problem

Hi everyone.

My daughter recently purchased an 87 Civic.
It's not a bad old beast, and runs quite well, however the sunroof seemed to be stuck in place.
I searched the net and found out the likely problems, and possible tests to determine what may be wrong, but I'm at a point now where I could really do with some proper advice because I'm at a loss.

What I've done so far is removed the roof lining and motor, then used a multimeter to make sure the voltage is correct at the connection.
It's getting 11.8 volts in both directions, so that eliminates the switch.
I then hooked the motor up to a 12v jump starter, and it too runs perfectly.

Once I reconnected the motor however, it wouldn't run.
So I checked on the motor side of the connection, and there is nothing.
No voltage at all when I press the open or close switch.

Now I've taken out the driver's seat and I can feel the relays clicking in both directions, but I wouldn't know how to test them, other than they work before I connect the motor, but not after.

Am I barking up the wrong tree to blame the relays under load, or is it the motor under load ? ? ?

As I said, both seem to work fine but as soon as I reconnect the motor I get nothing.

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction because I don't want to waste money replacing the wrong part.

Many thanks in advance for any help you may give.

Cheers,
Simon

Old 08-09-2012, 11:47 PM

If I work it out I'll let you know then

Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Default Update

Ok guys, this is what I have discovered so I hope it helps anyone else in a similar situation.
I have had a good mate here this weekend who knows more about these things, and here's the diagnosis.

The problem is in the sunroof motor itself.

While I can make it run by simply connecting it to a 12v jump starter, it's running much slower than he would have expected, (which is something I would never have noticed).
It also heated up pretty quickly if used for longer than 10 seconds or so.
The motor itself is on the way out, and most likely trying to draw too much voltage for the relays so they close asap.

Hope this saves someone some time in a similar situation but don't worry, I'll be sure to beg for help again soon because this old car is a gem, and I'd like to keep it on the road

Cheers guys,
Simon