HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   88 civic bogging question (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/88-civic-bogging-question-65661/)

87c10slammer 05-21-2008 05:37 PM

88 civic bogging question

i am new to the civic world. the car isnt mine a friend asked me to help him out. now to the problem. it is a d15a1 block with a upgraded intake manifold. i forget what is is right now but it has 4 injectors and says programable injection on it. but it idles great right a 900rpm. but when you goose the throttle it bogs out but goes right back to a good idle. i have replaced the fuel filter with a known good one out of my old intergra. put my good distibutor on it and re done all the hacked up wiring but still has the same problem. i was told it may be out of time but need a second opinion. if it is what is the best way to do it. i know to put it on tdc but i dont see any marks on the cam gear. it is a single overhead cam 16 valve. i see the cam gear and it says top on it. do i just make sure that is on the top or is there something i am not seeing. also i pulled the sparkplugs and they were pretty carboned up. does that mean it to rich or lean. he recently bought the car and didnt do the intake swap himself and who ever did it hacked it up but it ran great when he got it so he wasnt that concered with wiring.

RonJ 05-21-2008 05:42 PM

RE: 88 civic bogging question

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 27046

Attachment 27047

hatch46580 05-21-2008 05:45 PM

on the cam gear with the word "top" facing up look real carefull on each side of the cam gear there will be a little line on each side. line the 2 lines up with the deck of the head. were the valve cover and heard meet. as for the crank make sure its tdc. also what computer does he have in it??

87c10slammer 05-21-2008 05:52 PM

the stock one i am assuming. where would i find out what it is. i already have access to it. the carpet is up and plate is removed. what cylinder is number one also?

87c10slammer 05-21-2008 05:55 PM

the way they rewired it is.... the red wire from the ecu runs into a finned box under the hood onthe drivers side then from there 4 wires run into the injectors. one for each. there is also a yellow wire that runs to that box.

87c10slammer 05-21-2008 05:57 PM

would a bad 02 sensor carbon the spark plugs. sorry for so many questions but i am charging the guy alot of money to ge tit right and i dont want to have any problems because i am trying to open my own shop and dont want any bad jobs leaving my shop

RonJ 05-21-2008 06:10 PM

I would first focus on the mechanical and electrical timing.

87c10slammer 06-01-2008 01:56 PM

ok i got the car running good. it was out of time and the cat was bad. but it still only revs to about 3500-4000 rpms. i tryed switching the ecu. it has a pm6 in it and i had a couple others at my disposale so i tryed them with no luck. what could be the problem. so far i have rewired the hack job, changed the spark plugs, cut the cat out, replaced busted o2 sensor, and changed ou tthe ecus, maybe the crank sensor or other sensor would cause this? any one know a little more then me or had this problem

RonJ 06-01-2008 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is the CEL ON and is the ECU LED blinking a code?

Attachment 26829

87c10slammer 06-04-2008 04:36 AM

the cel is off but the comp is blinking codes. 3,5,7 are the lucky nembers. what would that be from. tps sensor? i dont know all the sensors this thing has i justt know the ones i run across alot.once again any help would be nice