Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

8th gen problem in 3rd gear...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Default 8th gen problem in 3rd gear...

LX Sedan MT:

After I shift into 3rd gear (I shift at the 3k mark), and after I've completely let off the clutch and am accelerating steadily, I've noticed that I often get a little tiny jolt. Hiccup is really the best word I can use to describe it. It's nothing major where your head is thrown forward, but it's noticable as the driver. Not sure the passenger would be able to notice it. It's not a situation where I'm easing off the gas and then giving gas again...I know that causes jolts. This is during the initial acceleration...

It has nothing to do with cold/warm weather since it has happened regularly in both conditions. Also nothing to do with the engine warming up, etc.

Any ideas? It's really nothing major at all, but I'm curious if anyone else had noticed it and whether or not it should be cause for concern or just par for the course when driving a manual.

My current plan is to just have the dealer look into it when I go for my first oil change (I'm around 2800 miles at the moment), but I'd love to get all the info I can before I talk to them.

Thanks!

P.S. I noticed this a couple of times in 4th gear, but 3rd is where it happens most often.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 8th gen problem in 3rd gear...

That is how the drive by wire system does, it is less responsive and "jerky" compared to older cable driven throttle's

Old 03-26-2006, 04:03 PM
HCF Member

Car and Driver says the civic they test drove artificially held on to revs after letting off the gas, but I haven't experienced this problem myself.

I have noticed that acceleration from a standstill in first gear isn't as natural-feeling as it could be, but that's drive-by-wire for you.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:07 PM

I understand the DBW system is a little jerkier. During steady acceleration, though? If so, then that's very interesting...

Old 03-26-2006, 04:30 PM

As far as changing the oil,I had mine changed at about 2800, when I went to get it changed at 6000 I went to a different dealership to have it changed because I would not be going home anytime soon they told me that Honda put somekind of additives in the oil and don't want you to change it till about 10000 miles. It supposed to help exend the life of your gaskets and stuff like that. It won't hurt to change it if you want just a lil info about it.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: 06Si

As far as changing the oil,I had mine changed at about 2800, when I went to get it changed at 6000 I went to a different dealership to have it changed because I would not be going home anytime soon they told me that Honda put somekind of additives in the oil and don't want you to change it till about 10000 miles. It supposed to help exend the life of your gaskets and stuff like that. It won't hurt to change it if you want just a lil info about it.
I've heard about the additives, but 10,000 seems a bit excessive. I've heard that you should just wait until about 10-15% left on the indicator to make an appt. Usually around 6,000 or so.

Thanks for the info, though.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:36 PM

Yeah I thought so myself, if I would have known that I may have went to about 6000. I don't go by the life meter I change at about 3000 miles. But I am very picky about keeping my vehicle up. I usually run my car pretty hard so I will spend a lil extra money to keep it running its best.