Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 ef hatch. D16Y8 swap. electrical issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Unhappy 91 ef hatch. D16Y8 swap. electrical issues.

i have a 91 hatch, my boyfriend swapped a d16y8 into it when the bottom end seezed on the original engine 2 1/2 weeks after i bought it. long story. not my fault. either way, the engine we swapped in is good compression and all that. electronically, it's a nightmare. got an OBD0 harness that was taken apart, plugs changed blahblahblah. now its "OBD1"... or some ish. its what the guy told us. oh and it has no dead end or resistor box. which im told is "impossible"..?

ive had this car since june 17, 2011 and ive driven it for maybe 3 weeks. im tired of having a car i have 2000 bucks in between buying and 'fixing' it and not being able to DRIVE it.

we got the car to start, it runs for maybe 10 seconds, check engine light cuts on, my engine cuts off. if im remembering right, its crank positioning sensor or some ish. my OBD1 distributor has this in it but the engine being OBD2 has it on the crank(if i understand this correctly) the one on the engine isnt wired or plugged in. obviously the one on the dizzy, is. its a brand new dizzy. its been in the car a week.

I'm tired of dealing with this ***king piece of ish. im about ready to just start parting it out on craigslist. Somebody please help meeeeee... before i run this thing over with my 1986 chevy pickup. so serious. im done waiting for my boyfriend to 'fix' my car. i dont play electrical. its my kryptonite. but ill be deezamned if im going to sit here and watch it rust away. :|