Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch slipping - what happens if I let it go, advice on replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 PM
HCF Member
Default Clutch slipping - what happens if I let it go, advice on replacement?

Ok, I think my clutch is finally going out on me. 240,000+ miles on it, and now when I get up in the higher RPMs the engine will occasionally rev when I am accerlarating, without the increase in speed. I've also had this burnt smell for the past 5,000 miles or so, especially in traffic, where I'm shifting a lot.

With that said, this is just my commuter car and I'm thinkin I'll just keep it under 4K RPMs and drive it until it goes completely?? B/c its not slipping below 3K RPMs at all - yet. This is my first car with a stick - what happens if I let this go? Will it worsen if I just baby the car? Could the internals (of the clutch) "blow up" while I'm shifting gears at 50 mph?

Also, as for getting a new clutch, should I go (1) Honda, (2) rebuilt, or (3) aftermarket (thinkin about dropping in the SI VTEC engine once mine goes - hopefully this is a long way off though...) I'm actually fairly mechanically competent, done a lot of work on my Jeep, but I don't have time to figure out the Civic b/c I'm in a program in the med school now and the wrenching has taken a back seat, so no, I will not be doing the work myself this time around...

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Clutch slipping - what happens if I let it go, advice on replacement?

Replace now and you could save your flywheel. Run it more and you'll score it and have to buy a new one. Basically another $100.00 for an OEM. To replace the works the tranny gets pulled...great time to service it if it has any issues. Stage one clutch time???

Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Clutch slipping - what happens if I let it go, advice on replacement?

Thanks so far...

Well, transmission has 240,000 on it as well, don't know when the fluid was/if ever changed b/c I bought the car at 226,000 and the kid before me bought it from some lady at 200,000 and didn't change it himself. But for now, the transmission seems fine except for it being hard to put into reverse every once in awhile, but from what I've heard, that's kinda a Honda thing.

How much for a new flywheel - b/c I wont be able to get it into the shop for at least another couple of weeks, when my student loan money finally comes.

thanks

Old 01-05-2007, 11:44 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Dogmeat
Basically another $100.00 for an OEM.
Plus tear down and replacement....probably expect to pay~$600.00 for clutch replacement and cut existing flywheel.
LOL.....take it easy and drive like grandma and her friends are in the back seat. You should be able to nurse it along for a bit. DON'T abuse it or you'll pay more....Good luck and let us all know what happens