Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

92-95 eg fog light install

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 PM
HCF Member
Lightbulb 92-95 eg fog light install

(when previewing this the pics wouldnt show up so I just opted to post the address to my photos in my albums here on hcf)

Was looking around for a good set of instructions or DIY guidelines for installing a stock style fog lamp on my EG. Didnt find any so either I over looked them (most likely) or it hasnt been brought up yet.... anyway. I decided to write up some with pics. (this is my first time so wish me luck.)

I purchased these fog lights from a guy locally for $20, they were rusted up pretty bad and all the screws were stripped out... drilled them all out with an "ez out" and sanded the housings/frame work and sprayed them black to get to this point.... (also retapped and installed new bolts. 10/32's.)

NOTE: These stock style fog lights use a H55 lamp! (readily available at a very cheap price at your local parts place.)

HondaCivicForum.com - alanking80's Album: Garage - my 94 ex beater - Picture

I decided after looking at it that removing the bumper would making cutting the "grill" assemblies a lot easier to deal with so after a few minutes of work it was off an setting in the grass beside the car. This was a lot easier than I had expected. (There should have been 5 bolts, mine were 10mm... actually I had only 2 bolts, the previous owner had damaged the core supports so it was also tie wrapped... on either corner I had a phillips screw that plugged up into a small plastic socket assembly.)

I had decided to use a sawzall to cut out the grills on either side of the car.
BEFORE CUTTING MAKE SURE YOUR BUMPER HAS THESE THREE MOUNTING BRACKETS ON THE BACK SIDE WHERE THE FOG LIGHT MOUNTS... NOT ALL OF THE BUMPERS HAD THIS FEATURE!!! (if they are indeed there, or you dont mind the extra work of trying to fasten them to a bumper without them, continue onward.)

This is the back of the bumper assembly and the three mounting tabs for the stock fog light. NOTE the indentations on the back side, these will show you where you can cut and how to save the "mounting tabs."

One side down and roughly trimmed, I found in the process that you can also cut this out with a very sharp razor knife, just be careful not to cut your own hand off. time for a test fit.

Once I was content with the fit I used 3 self tapping hex-head screws to install the framework onto the back of the bumper assembly. (I used 5/16" by 1/2 long screws)

Test fit the fog light cover before moving on to do the other side. ( you may have to trim excess off of the original grill to get your cover to sit flush with the bumper assembly on the front.)

Once I was was content with the fitment of the lens, I moved to the opposite side of the bumper and repeated the same few steps. (on the second one I did not use the sawzall as I found it easier just to use my razor knife.)

After test fitting everything and installing the other fog light I replaced the bumper (minus the fog light covers) back onto the front end of the car.

I ran my wiring up through the bumper to a location behind the head lights. and left it there for the time being and then placed on the lens covers for a final look over.

I used a wiring connector (in line splice) to wire my hot for the fog lights into the "city lights" on my head lights, (more or less tied them into the running lights.) I ran the ground up and to a location on either side of the engine bay and grounded them to the body. (if one was inclined to do so they could run the wires into the interior and to a switch, I already had a separate fused switch that was controlling only my "city lights" so I didn't need to run into the cab for this install.)

Now that the fog lights are in the bumper completely, the bumper is on the car and the hood is closed up it's time to give it a good look over and make sure you like what you see.

Testing them out before dark to see how bright they were....

After the sun went down went out to check them out.

Hope you find this article somewhat useful...
just thought it might help someone else down the road... if you have any questions at all feel free to contact me. It took me about 3 hours to complete everything (and thats including the rehab of the fog lights from when I purchased them, and drying time of the paint.)

Old 05-23-2012, 11:45 PM
HCF Member

i like them, i want to do this soon.

on a side note i like using photobucket, but the forum uploads are good too because people register to see them.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 AM
HCF Member

Thanks man, it was a lot easier than I'd expected it to be honestly. I figured it'd be a bit more of a pain in the a$$. I did a set a few years ago for a friend of mine who owned a focus zx3... they got the factory wiring and fog lights from ford, it was a complete and utter nightmare to install. (and their grills were designed to be unbolted and removed!!!)