HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   92 vx bogs down then stalls out after warming up (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/92-vx-bogs-down-then-stalls-out-after-warming-up-24389/)

joel929 06-27-2006 09:33 PM

92 vx bogs down then stalls out after warming up

well the headline kinda says it all... for the last week my civic has been doing the hickup thing once in a while (same feeling as when you're driving to slow for the gear you're in). yesterday it just stalled out when i came to a stop. this was after about 25 minutes of driving. it wouldn't start so i let it sit for 30 minutes. after that it started and i managed to get it home. i put in some fuel injector cleaner but i'm scared to take too far from home now. if you guys have any thoughts on what i should look into first it would be really appreciated.

fglaustin 06-27-2006 09:42 PM

RE: 92 vx bogs down then stalls out after warming up

i guess there is no check engine light on??
how many miles since a tune-up.
without a check engine light on, i would think that it is a fuel problem.
is this a throttle body or real fuel injection (port)?
how long since the fuel filter was changed?

joel929 06-28-2006 02:05 PM

the check engine light is not on. i think it's either the fuel pump or filter. it drives well for 15-20 minutes before it gives out. just bought it a year ago so not sure when last tune up was or when fuel filter was last changed. it's fuel injection and has high mileage so could be the pump. i would think if it was the filter it would be a problem from startup, not just after warming up. you?

ORIGINAL: fglaustin

i guess there is no check engine light on??
how many miles since a tune-up.
without a check engine light on, i would think that it is a fuel problem.
is this a throttle body or real fuel injection (port)?
how long since the fuel filter was changed?

theredsuit 06-28-2006 03:15 PM

"seafoam" your car and see if that helps! Sounds like injectors that need cleaning. Honda fuel pumps rarely go from what I've been told. Check your main relay solder points for breaks on the pins (little round rings in the solder). Re solder or get a new relay if you see the break rings.

joel929 06-28-2006 03:37 PM

okay, ive looked through my hayne's manual. i think the operative anomaly here is that it runs well for a short while, then quits. the fuel pump does the whirring sound when i turn the ignition to the 'on' position, even after it stalls on me, so i assume it is working. i used fuel injector cleaner yesterday with on results. i'll check the relay pins but now i'm leaning towards the filter. does this sound right?? im still baffled by why the car would run well for a while before stalling. maybe the filter iss clogged causing back-pressure to build up. whadya guys think?

theredsuit 06-28-2006 04:30 PM

hmmm, wouldn't hurt to put a new fuel filter on anyway. I pulled my gas tank pump and filter at 150 000km and the filter was still clean. You might find the same thing. A clogged Cat? It happens. The fact that you hear the pump pressurize when you turn the key even after you stall out is a good sign. That means you don't have a main relay issue. Check the IAC valve, it might need some carb cleaner. Is your temperature gague hitting max or moving eradically? Check your timing, the car changes it's timing as it comes into running temperature from cold. So many damn things to check haha.

Can you give us the mileage on your car?

joel929 06-28-2006 05:06 PM

the mileage is just over 375000 kilometers (about 226000 miles). it sounds high, but seriously, i wouldnt be on here if it wasn't a good car right? it has a good body and more importantly has never given me a problem since i bought it. okay, one problem; i had to replace the exhaust front to back about 8 months ago, but thats not mechanical. i assume that rules out a clogged cat (hopefully!). the temp stays optimal even when it stalls out. timing? hmm... could be BUT the last two times i started it when cold it's taken two cranks. and once it made this wierd sound, kind of like a loud sigh.

fglaustin 06-28-2006 06:59 PM

the fact that you had to let it sit before starting reminds me of how the coils used to go out years ago. but i don't know if they exhibit those symptoms now or not. let it sit and the coil cools down and it will start. dont know if it would give you that miss though.

also reminds me of an injector that will leak a little and thus it is flooded and will not start until the gas evaporates. but with port fi you have 4 (i guess) injectors. so i guess that is not it either.

there is a fuel pump pressure test - but if you are like me, those are guages that one does not have. leaning toward the fuel filter.

joel929 06-28-2006 08:55 PM

just put in new fuel filter. same problem. took a long time to start, then ran for 15 minutes, stalled, and would not start.

joel929 06-29-2006 03:41 PM

the main relay looks fine, replaced fuel filter, the air filter is fine, recently replaced exhaust (including cat), and i can hear the fuel pump run when i turn the ignition to the 'on' position. the car starts and runs for about 15 minutes then stalls. it wont start again for 30 minutes to an hour. when it does start up again, the same thing happens. the problem started about 4 days ago and the car hasnt improved since. since i dont trust it enough to drive it after troubleshooting i've just been looking into one problem at a time (as listed above) then letting it run in nuetral. it seems to be getting worse. today i checked the ecu for trouble codes but it only flashed the code once (and of course i missed it). as it is now, if i let it sit for a while it'll start up, run for 5 minutes and die. sometimes it starts and does the same thing, sometimes it just turns over without firing. the few times when it dies on me while i was driving it would kind of 'hickup' intermittently first and i noticed the rpms were diving from 2500-3000 down to zero when it did the hickup thing. i've worked on civics for years and i'm baffled here. the forum has given me a ton of great ideas but nothing has worked so far. i noticed the ignition coil was mentioned in an earlier post, is that really likely? intermittent fuel pump failure?? i guess anything could be possible at this point! any further help would be greatly appreciated. sounds like this is a common problem.