Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
View Poll Results: text read easily and well understood?
yes
0%
no
0%
could have been better
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

93/94 Civic overheated yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 AM
HCF Member
Default It was the headgasket, and more about the TSB

Well no real surprise here, the headgasket was blown between 2&3. I’ll try to attach a picture although that didn’t go so well last time. What is surprising is Honda turning a deaf ear to my query as to recompense for what I believe is time lost, car down, headaches from them selling a substandard headgasket. They know from their own TSB that another part number should be offered. This is why the headgasket blew in only 15,000 miles. The part was defective, and my head blessed as flat and pressure-checked good and my block measuring flat within .0015” or less substantiate this fully. What I was told is that since there wasn’t a recall the new part will not supersede the old part number. The only time the TSB is adhered to is if a mechanic in their dealership deems it necessary. What hogwash. When a problem is identified it should be made right. Toyota does it and has done it with me on a part that was WAY out of warrantee, but obviously flawed. Oh, the senior vice-president with whom I spoke at Honda, and all of his underlings on the way up would not provide their last names ‘for security reasons’. The people at Toyota had no such misgivings. I wonder why.

So, in order to invoke a recall we all have to make Honda N. America aware of our blown/blowing headgaskets. Anyone that has had the problem between 1988 and 1995, on a non-VTEC engine, that wants to entertain themselves for a bit, call 1-800-999-1009 and ask why the parts counters are selling substandard parts that are counter to TSB 97-047. All of you 4th and 5th gen owners be heard. We also need to start a 6th gen stink if what I continue to read on the forum is of any indication. The headgaskets are weak, and not from lack of maintenance or anything else other than substandard design or manufacture. They should be purged and correct part numbers sold exclusively.

I’m still toying with filing a small claims case just so a Honda representative will have to fly from California to answer the claim. They have cost me that much frustration. If I lose the suit, no problem, at least I was heard.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx

Attached Thumbnails 93/94 Civic overheated yesterday-honda-headgasket-blown-2-3.jpg