Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'93 Civic overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 03:23 AM
Default '93 Civic overheating

I've been driving my sister's '93 civic LX sedan for the last few weeks. Within the last 3 to 4 days, it has been over heating. I saw the temp gauge go into the red and it freaked me out. I thought the head gasket was gonna blow.

After I parked the car and popped the hood, I could see that coolant was over flowing from the coolant resevior box.

When it stopped, I opened the box and added water. After the motor cooled more I opened the radiator cap. I found out the radiator cap spring and rubber valves were broken. I filled up the radiator. It'll drive ok for a bit and the temp will be normal. But on up hill climbs and longer drives, the coolant will broil out again. I also noticed that the radiator fan wasn't coming on.

I'm going to pick up a new radiator cap today. (what's the going price?) I'll see how the civic does with the new cap.

Ok, my main question is:

What's the normal cause or causes (besides normal wear and tear) for the radiator fan to not work?

-Is there anything I should check before going out to buy a new fan and have it installed?

-Are there any other alternatives? (Anyone have a used one available?)

-What's the going price for a radiator fan for a '93 Civic?

-Where should I pick it up from?

Thanks for any help, folks! Times are tough, especially with all the gas prices going through the roof.

P.S. The fan came on for a bit tonight after I got home. But the coolant was stemming before it came on. What are the things I should check for?

Would a new radiator cap solve the problem? (will a fault radiator cap cause the rad fan not to function properly?)

Old 09-13-2005, 12:20 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: '93 Civic overheating

Could be the fuse, but since you said the fan came on it sounds like that and the motor are ok. Perhaps replacing the thermostat?

I'd also get a pressue test to see if the head gasket is going. My '95 has already eaten one and I had the same symptoms as you.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:43 PM

check thermostat and replace the coolant temp sensor if its not to expensive

Old 09-14-2005, 09:52 AM
HCF Member

Check your radiator hoses as well. If there is a leak in the system the fan will not come on. Had this happen to mine about 3 months ago. Once I replaced the hoses, the fan worked just fine.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:34 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: jake11375

Check your radiator hoses as well. If there is a leak in the system the fan will not come on. Had this happen to mine about 3 months ago. Once I replaced the hoses, the fan worked just fine.
I did this too, it was about $30 for parts and we did the installation ourselves. Didn't solve my problem (because the hoses weren't the problem), but it was very easy to do.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:42 AM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to HCF. [sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

You can also check you fan by unpluging it and use 2 "jumper wires" (just spare wire with insulation on the ends removed) to hook the fan directly up to the battery. It should work.

If the fan works under that test, then it could also be the temperature sensor (which tells the fan when to come on).

Just don't let your engine heat up too much, or you'll end up with major problems. (such as a warped head)