Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'94 Civic DX Key Won't Move in Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:18 PM
HCF Member
Default '94 Civic DX Key Won't Move in Ignition

Alright so I drove it to church this morning and other than the slow acceleration it was fine.

However I was stupid and left the lights on during church. Came out to leave once it was over and car was dead. I got a jump from someone but nothing happened - I had no lights whatsoever, no radio, no seatbelt noise - nothing.

We checked the fused and one of the 80 Amp (iirc) fuses was blown - not sure why. I went to Autozone and got a replacement fuse for $4 and put it in Civic.

Now, not only do I not have any lights, I am physically unable to turn the key whatsoever in the ignition. It won't budge. Also, I wanted to test something out so I turned the Hazards on and I got a weird clicking noise from the left bottom side of steering column, near main relay/fuse box.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Automatics have an electric locking mechanism on the key-- needs power from the battery. If leaving the lights on for an hour or so while you were in church was enough to run it down flat, the battery probably was worn out anyway and you need a new one. Hooking jumper cables up backwards can blow the big fuse and other things. You should not keep driving a car that's obviously not running properly -- you risk engine damage or fouling / clogging the catalytic converter.