Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 Civic DX wont start when hot outside...

Old 08-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Default RE: 94 Civic DX wont start when hot outside...

igniter as in Ignition Control Module? im thinking that could be it but that part is 160 bucks. it would suck if i was wrong.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:00 AM
HCF Member

swap it with a friends if possible. but you should be able to find a whole distributor for not much more than 160, so if its the ignitor, i suggest a whole new dizzy if you cant get a better price on an ignitor.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

swap it with a friends if possible. but you should be able to find a whole distributor for not much more than 160, so if its the ignitor, i suggest a whole new dizzy if you cant get a better price on an ignitor.
yeah the Ignition Control Module is $150 some dollars with a shop discount...so would the ICM come with a new distributor?

Old 08-10-2005, 08:25 PM

I think I have the same problem with my 94 Civic LX...on hot days (or sometimes after a fill up) the car starts then promptly dies. The fuel pump always comes on and purges the system on the 1st attempt to start the car...however, after the engine dies, the fuel pump does not come on when you turn the key to the "II" position. Every once in a while (no rhyme or reason), the fuel pump will come back on and then the engine will start (and hopefully keep running). Do you hear the fuel pump purge the system every time you turn the key to the "II" position? In my case, it seems that something is telling the fuel pump to turn off (a relay or computer?). I recently ordered the Helm repair manual to try to troubleshoot this problem. Please let us know how you make out.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: shoobie

I think I have the same problem with my 94 Civic LX...on hot days (or sometimes after a fill up) the car starts then promptly dies. The fuel pump always comes on and purges the system on the 1st attempt to start the car...however, after the engine dies, the fuel pump does not come on when you turn the key to the "II" position. Every once in a while (no rhyme or reason), the fuel pump will come back on and then the engine will start (and hopefully keep running). Do you hear the fuel pump purge the system every time you turn the key to the "II" position? In my case, it seems that something is telling the fuel pump to turn off (a relay or computer?). I recently ordered the Helm repair manual to try to troubleshoot this problem. Please let us know how you make out.
i think i have the same problem but i dont seem to hear the fuel pump since i am inside. it happened today when its not really that hot but its humid. i tried to start the car it starts for a lil while but then dies but after ten minutes it starts up again. i am going to buy a distributor and replace it as i heard its the Ignition Control Module that is acting up. if it doesnt work im going to start trouble shooting the fuel pump.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 PM

you should be able to hear the fuel pump from inside the car...it will make a sort of humming noise that will turn off with a "click" at the same time the "check engine" light turns off...

Old 08-10-2005, 11:52 PM

you should be able to hear the fuel pump from inside the car...it will make a sort of humming noise that will turn off with a "click" at the same time the "check engine" light turns off...
there are so many beeping sounds from the seat belt light but i will pay more attention tommorow when my car just doesnt want to start again.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:39 AM

I always make sure everything is off (no fan or radio), door is closed, and my seatbelt is on so that there aren't any other noises around. I also open my windows so that I don't bake waiting for the car to decide to run...

Old 08-11-2005, 05:32 PM

I always make sure everything is off (no fan or radio), door is closed, and my seatbelt is on so that there aren't any other noises around. I also open my windows so that I don't bake waiting for the car to decide to run...
i think we have the same problem. my car always starts first thing in the morning so i tried to listen and i did hear the fuel pump but later in the afternoon i tried to listen but i didnt hear anything so i tried starting it and it wont run so i think it has something to do with the fuel pump. have you found a solution for it yet?

Old 08-11-2005, 05:41 PM

Make sure your battery connections are reeeeeeealy tight. Mine did this for a while, and I was stumped. I opened up the hood and the positive terminal was really loose. I tightened it and voila, started perfectly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 Civic DX wont start when hot outside...