Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 civic no spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
I think the alarm is interrupting the ignition power. Bypass it. Also make sure the underhood grounds are good. There should be zero volts from the thermostat housing wires to the battery (-) post.

Could also be a short in the sensor circuit, or the ECU is not getting power. You should have 5 volts at the MAP sensor whenever the key on. This power is supplied from the ECU to the sensors. Test the power and ground pins at the ECU to make sure they are powered and grounded.
I HAVE LOOKED AT THE DIAGRAM, THANK YOU.

which ones are power and ground pins for ecu?

also, i should have 12V somewhere on the ignition switch, right?

i have completely removed alarm, and am next to start testing everything. with alarm removed, nothing really changed. starter cranks, no start, oil/CE light are up. btw, also climate control buttons green lights are up. with the one before "crank" ignition key position, there's audible relay click coming from the dashboard, and those green lights go off. ??
also, when starter cranks, brake light comes up.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:43 PM

ok, here's what i found:
1. good news - i do have power on ignition switch.
2. i have alarm disconnected completely. every wire i could find. i have all ignition switch wires that were cut - yellow and white - connected back together and hot. no difference.
3. i do not have any power to ecu fuse. period. none. so, either a burnt fusible link somewhere or there's a kill switch tripped somewhere else that i do not know of. alarm had shake sensor too. might have kill switch somewhere either.
4. here's really bad news:

there are 2 lose wires left after alarm removal. green white and green orange or red, can't tell. both are hot with key in ON position. both, apparently, are coming out of factory harness - and connected to nothing. i can not find where they were supposed to be connected to or what they were cut from.
now, make things better, there's a green/red wire coming from the fuse box under the hood. has silver dots on it though. i can not tell if it's ecm fuse wire or not, even with that fuse box disassembled.
there is no power on yellow/blk wires on ecm either, i checked.
CAN I RUN 12v DIRECTLY TO ECM? OR TO ECM FUSE? and if yes, what color is the 12V power wire for that fuse?

5. what the heck is this:

as there was 4 wires plugged into it and it was in the alarm harness, but why i am so supiscious that it is a factory part just rerouted? i have seen it somewhere before...
ok, i looked it up, it's 30/40 amp relay. any ideas? some security system company sells those as MAS® POWER OEM
RELAY 30/40AMP

Last edited by ukrkoz; 02-14-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

With the key on (position II) you should have power on all terminals of the ignition switch except the black wire with white stripe; that one goes to the starter so is only on in position (III). The two white wires should be the feeds from the battery / underhood fuse box. If you have power on those but not coming out of the switch, the switch is bad. I think the black with yellow stripe feeds the ignition and ECU, it should go right from the key switch to the dash fuse box where it feeds the ECU fuse.

This is all from memory, clearly you should consult a diagram of the entire car and check / restore it to a stock configuration. Don't go jumping power to different places hoping something will happen, something will for sure....

Last edited by mk378; 02-15-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM

basically, i gave up on this.
car was bought for $2200, served well for 4 yrs, and paid for itself over in accident insurance $$.
we do not value her that much to go into tearing it apart completely to pull harness out and locate where those 2 wires are going to. we'll just sell it.
for general info, i managed to restore power back to ECU fuse. there still was no power down by the ECU plug. basically, i bypassed black/yellow power wire with jump wire from the fuse 0 pin. so, 12V was going through the fuse, just in case. NOTHING. only some relay clicks under the dash, and low oil pressure light.
that's when i gave up.
appreciate y'all's help. kid has a few yrs old scion, so he's in no pressure to fix this one. and he drives once a week maybe, works from home.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:11 PM
Default Having the same issue with my 1998 civic

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
1. fuel is good. gushes out of fuel filter and plugs smell of gas
2. THERE IS NO SPARK
3. MAP ecm + to ecm negative on thermostat reads 0.11 V, not 5V.
4. coil has 12V to it with key turned on; there is no spark even durectly off coil tower.
5. on the dash, there's only continuous CE light and low oil pressure light. red brake light comes up only when starter cranks.
6. on any given terminals on ignition switch there's 0.16V at the best, even with switch to ON. including yellow power wire.
7. one of the alarm wires is directly spliced into yellow power wire that goes to switch.
was too cold to mess with it yesterday night. we left it all till saturday, so good guess will be appreciable.
yes, we do have the whole entire NEW distributor, not remanif-d one, installed.
it’s kinda of disheartening to see you gave I’m running into the same issue in my 1998 civic that I’m working on with my father we took out the after market alarm sister everything that gets power but the distributor and I’ve changed all the same parts as you and nothing