HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   95 Honda Civic dx power steering not working (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/95-honda-civic-dx-power-steering-not-working-97891/)

hondacivicdx95 10-30-2015 04:13 PM

95 Honda Civic dx power steering not working

I have a 95 Honda civic dx. Recently the power steering quit working. It happened pretty quickly. Would roar and squeal when steering while stopped and did that for a few days getting worse each day. I added some power steering fix fluid thinking it would help and about 10 mins later didn't have any power steering at all. The pump quit pumping also and would just make fluid overflow from reservoir. so bought a different used pump that worked but made the mistake of putting regular power steering fluid to prime and test the pump. Drained the reservoir completely,unhooked all the lines and took the new pump back off to drain. I blew out all the lines to get any possible non honda power steering fluid out. Hooked everything back up and put new fluid, honda kind, and seemed like a good fix since everything was working again. Steering worked great and smooth. Now two days later crank car up and no power steering again at a idle or while driving, just roaring. I don't see any bubbles in the reservoir, and its still full so no leaks. I steered the wheel all the way left and right because that's suppose to take air out but it only made it even harder to steer. Have no idea what is going on!

Flowmaster23 11-15-2015 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by hondacivicdx95 (Post 795262)
I have a 95 Honda civic dx. Recently the power steering quit working. It happened pretty quickly. Would roar and squeal when steering while stopped and did that for a few days getting worse each day. I added some power steering fix fluid thinking it would help and about 10 mins later didn't have any power steering at all. The pump quit pumping also and would just make fluid overflow from reservoir. so bought a different used pump that worked but made the mistake of putting regular power steering fluid to prime and test the pump. Drained the reservoir completely,unhooked all the lines and took the new pump back off to drain. I blew out all the lines to get any possible non honda power steering fluid out. Hooked everything back up and put new fluid, honda kind, and seemed like a good fix since everything was working again. Steering worked great and smooth. Now two days later crank car up and no power steering again at a idle or while driving, just roaring. I don't see any bubbles in the reservoir, and its still full so no leaks. I steered the wheel all the way left and right because that's suppose to take air out but it only made it even harder to steer. Have no idea what is going on!

This sounds to me like the valves in your rack and pinion probably are not opening. Those need to open and close in order for the fluid to transfer from one area to another. So when you turn your wheel from left to right those valves are opening and closing. But if they are not working right then you're not going to have power steering. What I would try doing is flush the entire system really really good with Honda power steering fluid and then if that doesn't work you might have to put a new rack and pinion on. Because you just put a new pump on so that would eliminate the pumping the problem. The only thing that is on the list of the rack and pinion itself.