Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Civic not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:50 AM
HCF Member
Default 97 Civic not starting

I have a 97 Civic and once in a while it just won't start. Turns over fine and there is spark. I let it sit for a while and it is ok. My guess is fuel pump but I didn't listen for the pump so I'm not sure. I was also thinking of changing the fuel filter but didn't want to blow the $30 if I don't have to.The previous owner is a joke and explained that if you take short trips it is normal for the Civic to flood out so you just have to wait. I cleaned out the throttle body and even when there is a large amount of cleaner/fuel it starts when you put the pedal to the floor. Please help.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah, it is important that you listen for the fuel pump priming when the engine won't start. If you don't hear the pump, then the main relay may be failing.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:57 PM
HCF Member

How hard is it to replace? Where is it?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Replacing the main relay is pretty simple. Remove the glove box. The relay is located to the right side of where the glove box is situated.

Don't replace the relay until you have a reason to do so. When you turn the key to ON(II), do you fail to hear the low humming noise of the fuel pump for few seconds in the rear?

How did you test for spark?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:14 AM
HCF Member

The problem is intermittent and has only happened twice in the last 6 months. I didn’t listen for the fuel pump when it happened. To check the spark I removed one of the wires, inserted a spare plug that I had, and put it close to metal to arc. Is there a better way to check for spark?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by dctaz37
The problem is intermittent and has only happened twice in the last 6 months. I didn’t listen for the fuel pump when it happened. To check the spark I removed one of the wires, inserted a spare plug that I had, and put it close to metal to arc. Is there a better way to check for spark?
The general method you used to check for spark is appropriate; however, you MUST ground the threads of the spare plug on a metallic engine part such as the valve cover when doing the test, otherwise you risk destroying the coil in the distributor. When the test is done properly, you should see bright bluish spark at the tip if the plug. No spark or a weak orange-colored spark would indicate a problem.

Finally, checking for spark or fuel pump priming is not informative unless such tests are done when the engine won't start.

Last edited by RonJ; 11-09-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 AM

if its your dd and its only happened twice in the last 6 months i doubt its the fuel pump at all(but i can be wrong)...i know this may seem stupid but check your battery cables lol make sure they are tight enough,i have a whole bunch of friends that this has happened to and it was just this hopefully for you its the same case cause i feel you on the money brother lol good luck let us know what happens?...and if it was the fuel filter you would notice right away with normal driving,if i were you the next time this happens just unplug the fuel pump relay and connect back,or get a new one at the junkyard (it fits in your pocket perfect lol) and see what happens from there..but um anyways what does it do when it doesnt turn on EXACTLY?

Old 11-11-2008, 03:33 AM
HCF Member

The car cranks over fine but does not start. I tried pushing the gas pedal with no change. Next time I'll listen for the fuel pump prime and check the spark. BTW, how often do you guys change your fuel filter? I was going to but if it doesn't need it I'd like the $35 in my pocket.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

In this case, save your money and wait to check for fuel pump priming and spark when the car won't start. Is the CEL ON?

Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by dctaz37
The car cranks over fine but does not start. I tried pushing the gas pedal with no change. Next time I'll listen for the fuel pump prime and check the spark. BTW, how often do you guys change your fuel filter? I was going to but if it doesn't need it I'd like the $35 in my pocket.
ok so the car is driving perfect now right ? your just asking why did this happen before or is the car not turning on now as we speak?....ahhh dont worry about the fuel filter keep your money,at least for now

Quick Reply: 97 Civic not starting