HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   98 hx egr..... (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/98-hx-egr-77339/)

josephdstone 08-01-2009 04:14 AM

98 hx egr.....

Just got a 98 HX for my mother inlaw.....
it has two codes one that says it's the EGR and the other saying it's the piston position sensor....I think I remember this one from my 89 CRX Si a few years back being called a crank position sensor....but are either of these conditions potentially detrimental? Could the make the car crap itself later or will they just knock off a few mpgs.....

94civichatchback 08-01-2009 05:25 AM

for one vtec wont work with those cel's on
if you have a bad cps then it would effect the cars performance

i'd say fix the problems the it shouldn't be a hard fix let us know if you need further instructions or any more help

josephdstone 08-01-2009 05:37 AM

yeah, I was reading up on another post about the EGR cleaning and replacement, not very hard there, but with the position sensor, the entire dist. has to be replaced right? I can't just replace the individual sensor?

RonJ 08-01-2009 05:55 AM

What are the two specific OBDII codes?

Clogged EGR port and passages in the D16Y5 engine of an HX can cause a lot of bad problems. Definitely clean those out. Consider running a Seafoam treatment as well.

For a bad distributor sensor, most people just replace the distributor housing. I have read that you can also replace the sensor itself because it is apparently a simple resistor. Before replacing either, however, measure resistance across the two sensor terminals to verify that the sensor is actually bad. Faulty wires or a bad ECU can also throw a distributor sensor code.

josephdstone 08-01-2009 06:01 AM

one was 401, the other I can't remember exactly it was 1351 i believe, I know it was 13 something I looked it up it said cylinder position sensor.. I used seafoam on my outboard one time, does this help also with 4 stroke hondas also?

RonJ 08-01-2009 06:04 AM

Best not to guess. Jump the service connector to pull the CEL codes again. Click CEL link in my signature.

josephdstone 08-01-2009 06:18 AM

I have one of those 15 dollar ebay scanners I scanned it it's a 1381

P1381 Cylinder Position (CYP) Sensor Intermittent Interruption

P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Insufficient Flow

thanks for the hel

RonJ 08-01-2009 06:24 AM

Yep, what I have already said applies to those two codes.

94civichatchback 08-01-2009 07:02 AM

seafoam works with alot of things and helps alot just start the car and pull the vacum line off the fuel pressure regulator and leave attached to intake manifold poor a little bit into a samll cup or something and dip the vacum line into the seafoam.... there will be alot of smoke that comes out of the exhaust.

josephdstone 08-01-2009 08:12 AM

with the sea foam, do I use the entire bottle? and does this clean out the EGR passages also, or is this more for other parts of the engine