Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ac compressor test/cleanout/question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 05:12 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
During operation, the pulley isn't supposed to move in any direction except rotate. No wobbling and no axial motion. The snap ring holds the inner part of the bearing onto the compressor frame. The bearing is pretty much supposed to stay attached to the pulley at all times, it is pressed in with considerable force and also (I think) "staked" in place by upsetting the metal of the pulley to prevent the bearing from coming out.
I get it now, MK- guess I did not explain it well enough. The bearing is still on the pulley, now that I think about it- it was the INNER bearing , the one immediately touching the comp shaft (the one thats about 1" OD), that did not come off. Of course, I think that one is embedded/presed onto the shaft itself, and the outside of it does not touch the pulley bearing at all. I was confused. So, I was talking about the shaft bearing. That one is tight/still on the comp case.

Whew. I was scared there for a moment, MK. Thanks for clearing tat up. Oh, for the record, how could I replace that shaft bearing? Open the case from both ends, and pull out?