HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Airbag Light is on again! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/airbag-light-again-99129/)

Tiffany Martel 03-04-2019 08:32 AM

Airbag Light is on again!

Hi all,
Back in December 2018, I had my cable and reel replaced on my 2006 Honda Civic. I had it diagnosed and replaced at a Honda Dealership. It is now March 4, 2019, and the light is back on. The light did not come back on until today. Back in December, the airbag light was coming on after my car had been sitting outside all night where the temperatures were between 0 and 20. The light would remain on during my first trip of the day, but the next time I would turn the car on, the light would be gone. Last night, the temperatures went below zero and this morning the airbag light was on during my whole trip. Does temperature have anything to do with this or is that irrelevant? Does anyone know why my airbag light would be on again? I haven't been in an accident. Thanks.

Duane4238 03-05-2019 08:22 AM

Don't know why the light is on, but you should return to the dealer right away. The passenger restraint systems are fully covered under warranty (by law) and the dealer should correct the problem for you. My seatbelt/airbag light was on in my 05 Civic, and the dealer replaced the buckle side seatbelt unit and it cost me nothing. Go and get the service done. If you're not confident with the 1st dealer, take it to another to have it fixed. Good luck.
Duane

Tiffany Martel 03-05-2019 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Duane4238 (Post 798240)
Don't know why the light is on, but you should return to the dealer right away. The passenger restraint systems are fully covered under warranty (by law) and the dealer should correct the problem for you. My seatbelt/airbag light was on in my 05 Civic, and the dealer replaced the buckle side seatbelt unit and it cost me nothing. Go and get the service done. If you're not confident with the 1st dealer, take it to another to have it fixed. Good luck.
Duane

Here’s the issue: Honda has strict protocols when it comes to the airbag light being on and diagnosing/repairing it. The error code only stays in the memory for 2-3 starts and then disappears. Essentially, I’d have to drive to Honda with the airbag light on in order for them to find the error code. Then, the protocol says they have to erase it to see if it comes back. If it comes back, they fix it. However, that’s very difficult when the light only comes on first thing in the morning and not again throughout the day. It also doesn’t help that I have to drive to work in the morning.

I trust what Honda says but I’m wondering if this is a bigger issue like an electrical issue rather than a part going bad. The airbag light was not on the dashboard this morning. It’s very intermittent...