Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alternator Belt Tightening

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Default Alternator Belt Tightening

Just found this board last night. Looks light a lot of good info here.

I am going to replace my alternator and I have a question about what/how others have tightened the alternator/power steering belts. I have a Honda OEM manual and it gives two methods to do so. One requires a special tool to measure the force exerted on a belt, the other uses deflection of the belt as the criteria. Does anyone have a good way of tightening that has worked for them? I realize that too loose and it slips; too tight and it does poorly for the bearings....

Any other tips which would make the alternator change go easier? I was going to insert new bolts as I'm sure that the old ones have sufficient rust.

Thanks for the help.

2001 Civ LX 4dr 4spdAT

Old 12-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Default RE: Alternator Belt Tightening

Im pretty sure your Alternator is in the back. Just losen the bolt on the top. Take a screw driver and a hammer. Hit the top bolt that you losen, and watch it move. Make sure the bolt is going towords the fire wall not towards the engine. Thats how you tight the alternator belt. The power steering, there should be a screw of some type one the left side. Can't remeber which way to tighten it, but you'll see if the power steering is moving up or down, you want it to move up. That should tighten your belt up.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

^^^ don't listen to this, you'll crack your alternator body

As for your original question - I never use any tools or rulers for this, I just push the beltwith my thumb and tighten it until it feels right. You can get a feel for that if you have any new car with similar belts around - friends, parents. Just go under the hood and push their belts, you feel pretty soon what tension is right.

Your bolts most probably are not rusted heavily, you are likely to be able to reuse them. Your hardestjob will be the bottom bolt removal/installation and alternator itself weaving from it's place to outside and back. Some people here recommend removing intake manifold to simplify the process (and this does help), but I think it’s too much of a hassle and adds to the things that can go wrong.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:48 AM

^^^^^

WHO TOLD YOU TO HIT THE ALTERNATOR. I SAID THE BOLT.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:27 AM
HCF Member

There werea fewreasons I called you an idiot:
1. You did not read the question and tried to answer what has not been asked;
2.When you hit the bolt, it transfers schock to the alternator body, and may crack it. And this even will not get job done, because being pushed by the belt alternator will spring back after you hit it. You just can't tighten the belt this way. Use the screwdriver as a lever to push alternator towards the firewall, and tighten the bolt while still applying the pressure. This will do it.
3. Your post did not contain any info except incorrect (and potentially costly) answer to unanswered question... hence the label

Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM

I was thinking that a linear hanging scale might work. Use a wide hook (so that you don't damage the belt) and pull on the belt until you reach 22 lbs. Then you can measure the deflection, which is supposed to be 7.0-10.5mm for a used belt, 5.5-8.0mm for a new belt.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

I've cleaned this thread up a bit, please try and keep it civil

Old 04-03-2007, 11:14 AM
HCF Member

darn it, i didnt get to see all of it... but WHOA MISHAS BACK......

Old 04-03-2007, 11:37 AM
HCF Member

Guys, look at the dates LOL.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Misha

Guys, look at the dates LOL.
I saw the dates, doesn't really matter. It should have been cleaned up a long time ago but obvoiusly it was missed.