Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

anyone know about a crank angle sensor???

Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Default anyone know about a crank angle sensor???

got a diagnostic test and the paperwork says its a faulty crank angle sensor.. i looked it up in my chilton and it says its a little clip that the electrical plugs into the distributor. but it also says that if that is faulty you have to get a new distributor. is the chilton out of date? is this information correct?? im tired of looking at it and i always get nowhere or i spend money for no reason. please help me!!???

Old 12-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: anyone know about a crank angle sensor???

Unfortunately, it seems likely that, if the sensor is bad, you would need to replace the distributor. For example, both the 96-00 and 92-95 Civic service manuals indicate that the sensors cannot be disassembled from the distributor (see picture).

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/7E72B74E76EC4F9DBE53E56E3B9E4E01.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 PM

is there any specific reason why it would go bad? age, use i would assume. but is it possible that something else would cause it like an electrical problem. just thinking the worst, because ill be pissed if i buy a new distributor and it does the same thing on me? any one??

Old 12-15-2007, 11:09 PM
HCF Member

yea, you have to repalce the distibutor, for me, its always the first thing that went bad. replace it and then you shouldnt have a problem with it anymore.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:58 AM

ok,, you guys said to replace the distributor. which i did brand new went on in 5 minutes. now,, i try to start it, it doesnt turn overit just clicks,, what the hell is this about now??? does anyone know what the deal is???

Old 02-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you reconnect the battery securely? Did you leave the doors open or something on that would've run down the battery? Since it's been a month and a half, battery may have just run down. Try a jump start.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:54 PM

[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 02-02-2008, 01:55 PM
HCF Member

what in this world is a crank angle sensor?

Old 02-02-2008, 02:01 PM

i know the crank angle sensor is part of the distributor, im notsure what is does.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:03 PM

ok i charged the battery. now the car sounds like its really wanting to start. it is a lot better sounding, although it doesnt start. once it starts to fire and get going its like the whole process stops and it sounds like something plugs up for a second. my friend said maybe a vacuum line, but we honestly dont know where to look. im really anxious to drive my car again, its like im going crazy. i have parts sitting here just waiting to be put on but if i cant get this thing going then i dont want to waste my time putting them on. i appreciate any help please help me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone know about a crank angle sensor???