HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Best method/s to keeping interior/exterior 'like new' and 'clean' (washing car) (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/best-method-s-keeping-interior-exterior-like-new-clean-washing-car-50651/)

Bananaboat11 08-25-2007 06:41 AM

Best method/s to keeping interior/exterior 'like new' and 'clean' (washing car)

Hey guys -- I'm new to owning a car & my first vehicle is a 2004 Honda Civic Coupe EX (great car for my first IMO)...well I've been reading around and was wondering the most effective, reliable methods to wash a car - keep it streak free - clean, etc, etc... any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

AgentofDarkness 08-25-2007 07:24 AM

RE: Best method/s to keeping interior/exterior 'like new' and 'clean' (washing car)

For the interior, vacuum and steam clean the seats and carpet. I would recommend getting a shop vac because I used to use my Dyson for interior cleaning and all the filters and seals got damaged. For everything else, I recommend Armor All interior wipes. You can find them at any autoparts store. They will put a really nice shine on all the plastic interior pieces.

Kommando 08-27-2007 02:19 PM

RE: Best method/s to keeping interior/exterior 'like new' and 'clean' (washing car)

ORIGINAL: Bananaboat11

Hey guys -- I'm new to owning a car & my first vehicle is a 2004 Honda Civic Coupe EX (great car for my first IMO)...well I've been reading around and was wondering the most effective, reliable methods to wash a car - keep it streak free - clean, etc, etc... any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Keep it in the garage. Around here, it's just a fact of life that some pinhead is going to damage your car and leave if it's parked outside somewhere.

Scotchguard the interior. Don't let anybody near the interior with food, drink,or smokes. Get some urethane floor and cargo liners for the footwells and the trunk. Pull them out to vacuum every week. Refrain from being messy in the car. I use Windex or some similar multi-suface cleaner inside. I can't stand the way ArmorAll feels on interior pieces. It's too slippery. Use sunshades and UV protectant to keep the dash and other vinyl from aging/cracking.

When you wash the exterior, make sure to wet it with the hose first, washing away the large pieces of dirt before ever touching it with a rag.

windcalmer 08-27-2007 04:33 PM

Also, start off now cleaning the engine bay once a week. Just wipe it down with a clean rag. It will help in the long run, and it fouy have any leaks you will be able to spot them right when they start. Also if you ever have to do any work, you will love the fact that it is not caked with crease and grime. LOL

Sigracer10 08-27-2007 04:51 PM

inside i use Armor All on all vinyl and plastic pieces, and vacuum it quite often with a shop vac.

outside i use MgGuires gold class car wash, and when i wax i use MgGuires paste. i'll wax every 2 or 3 months.

works pretty good for me