Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A big uh-OH (Head Gasket Problems)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Default A big uh-OH (Head Gasket Problems)

Hey forum I have a major question. Well to make a long story short, my friend and I are replacing the head on a 93 civic lx with 1.5. I have the manual but while I was reading it my friend just tore into the motor and removed the timing belt (Just slipping it off the cam). So the timing belt is not off but he did mark where it was talking off at with a market. And then continued to tear the rest down. Now my question what do I have to do because the motor was not at TDC when everything was apart. His response was how hard can it be? So what exactly do I have to do? Details please. I am replacing the head with a used one which has been checked at a machine shop. Its a long story about this car. Just any help would do plesase and thanks. I do appreciate it.

Brian

Old 07-30-2007, 03:29 AM
Default RE: A big uh-OH (Head Gasket Problems)

?? Anyone ??

Old 07-30-2007, 04:20 AM

Haha, "how hard could it be." I love people like that.

You will need to move both the crank pulley and the cam gear to TDC before you reassemble. The crank pulley has a notch that needs to point directly at a extended piece on the timing belt cover. I don't have any pictures of it, but it comes to an arrow pointing at the crank pulley to the right of center. If you have a Haynes this marker should be in there.

Cam gear is easy, 3 lines. Middle line points up, the two side lines need to be exactly level with the head. Once both the bottom and the top are at TDC, put the timing belt back on.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Welcome back. There is an arrow on the casting at about 1 o'clock near the crank that points to an arrow on the crank sprocket. (Not the keyway in the crank, there is a little arrow molded into the sprocket that drives the timing belt and that is the mark). You could also set the crank to TDC by putting a suitable rod into the #1 spark plug hole and turning the crank until the piston pushes the rod as high up as it will go.

Set the cam to TDC position first before turning the crank to be sure the valves won't hit.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:00 PM
HCF Member

Of course, if you turn the crank and put the #1 piston to TDC with the head off completely, it'll not only be easier to turn, it'll be easier to see where TDC really is. And until the head is installed, the engine is essentially a two-cycle motor - TDC is TDC, unlike once the head is on, and there's a TDC intake and TDC exhaust..