Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

timing/distributor after head resurface

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Default timing/distributor after head resurface

I recently had to resurface the head (only .004", not bad since I drove it pegged H to get somewhere) and replaced all necessary gaskets because I lost a heater hose (cyl head to heater core.) During the process, I picked up my second rebuilt distributor under warranty (original replaced a couple years ago because the piece of crap kept giving me error code 8/missing made it impossible to drive when at temp.; since the replacement, the first rebuilt kept giving me error code 9 randomly) and assembled. During the process, something has happened such that I cannot time the engine to the red 16 deg. BTDC mark. I can only get it to about 14 deg. BTDC with the slots on the distributor. I've checked and rechecked the TDC camshaft and crankshaft position, the timing belt is definitely on dead nuts (I moved crap a tooth off either way and that's just not right; I've got the D15B7 engine which requires the marks on the camshaft pulley be aligned with the head surface at TDC, which doesn't line up with the secondary mark/arrow on the head timing belt back cover for the D16Z6 engine which made it's way onto my engine, the result of the same crap used on multiple builds to confuse you [off a tooth either way doesn't line up with this either.]) I suspect my second rebuilt distributor is just not right, anyone that has any expericence with this please respond. The rebuilts have been from Checker/Shuck's/partsamerica (bad idea for important parts,) NAPA or Carquest seem to be the place to go for good stuff (let me know if I'm wrong, I'd like to know where the best place to go is.)
192K hoping to get over 200K without doing lower engine rebuild.
Thanks.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: timing/distributor after head resurface

i have yet to figure out why books recommend setting the timing to tdc. why do that and then have to get the timing light out. that is just another job, and damn hard to use timing lights when the engine sits bout into the fender well.
take that apart and set it to the timing mark - not dead top center.