Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Break-In Period / Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:26 AM
Default Break-In Period / Gas Mileage

Hey-
This is my first new car I've owned. It's a 06 Civic LX sedan---all stock. How long is the break in period for Hondas? Also, should I expect to get better gas mileage after I break the car in?? I think I'm on pace for a 30mpg tank (dealer tank).

I'm an admitted newbie and am all ears for some experienced advice. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Break-In Period / Gas Mileage

read through your honda manul..in mine it tells you about the break in period and that you shouldent drive to fast,or accellerate hard, take any hard turns,brake fast and such for a certain about of miles..

Old 01-18-2006, 05:40 PM
HCF Member

Break in is 1,000 miles. Friend has that same model but the coupe. The car salesman told him to take it easy for the first thousand and not go over 65mph for that period.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:18 AM
HCF Member

I'm wondering about the same thing about my new 07 Sedan Ex automatic. The dealer didn't tell me a thing about break in and I kind of drove my normal way for about half a tank and then kind of realized about the break in and changed my habits, accelerating slower and stuff. I have not been watching my speed though, so I will do that. I'm only at about 300 miles. I have already filled the tank up once, which worried me. The first tank of gas got very disapointing gas mileage.

I am afraid to ask this, but am I "Too late" in breaking in my car because of how I started? Or can I still make it up and get the car into the expected MPG? Because I love my new car, it's my first, but the milegae so far has disapointed me very much. Almost to the point where I want to have the car checked. But now I'm concerned I didn't drive it right from the beginning and I'm screwed, for lack of a better term.

Would really appreciate any advice. Input. Peace of mind.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

If it's still running well it should be fine. It's a precautionary measure doesn't mean that your cars already ruined. Just take it easy for 700 more miles whatever and unless something occurs like the engine is pinging, or you hear any irregular noises and/or engine isrunning rough take it in and i'm sure it'll be under warranty. Just tell them that you were taking it easy on the car