Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Can someone help me determine what tool to use to loosen the A/C belt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Default Can someone help me determine what tool to use to loosen the A/C belt?

Car info: 96' Honda Civic CX.

In order to get my alternator belt off, I need to loosen my A/C compressor belt enough to slip it off the pulley it shares with the alternator belt. Here is a picture of the two bolts I need to loosen in order to do that, according to my service manual:

imgur: the simple image sharer

(Here is the pic I'm referencing about this from the service manual. Note, I'm not removing the A/C belt off all the way, so I have no need to remove the lower engine mount as the diagram instructs)

The adjustment bolt needs a 10mm socket and won't be an issue. But I only have about an inch of space to work with to get to the center nut. Here are pictures demonstrating this. The first picture is me holding a tape measure up to give an idea of how small this area is, the next picture is the view from underneath the car to show it's no better under there.

Even my 1/4'' ratchet won't fit in the space. I really can't even get my fingers in there to determine what size socket I need, though I am pretty certain it's a 12mm. The other problem I foresee is I imagine it's torqued very tightly. I have a long sleeve of pipe I can use as a breaker bar, but I'll need something with a long enough handle that I can at least fit the pipe around it. (I am not very strong, and so the breaker bar will be essential for me)

Can somebody recommend a tool I can use to fit in a space that small? Also - does it matter which order I loosen the bolts in? The manual says specifically to do the center nut first and then the adjument bolt, but can I do it vice versa? Is it even necessary to do the center nut if I'm not planning on taking it all the way off, and just want to loosen it enough to slip it off the pulley?

Old 09-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The only tool that can reach the center nut is an end wrench. It should be 14 mm. Use the box end. On a combination wrench, you can sort of interlock the box end of another wrench onto the open end of the one that is on the nut for more leverage.

Tightening the center nut locks the pulley in position, so that nut must be loosened before you start turning the adjustment bolt.