Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Can't Get Key Out of 2000 Honda Civic

Old 10-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Default Can't Get Key Out of 2000 Honda Civic

My key is stuck in the ignition in the 2nd position (radio still on). The car is in park and while I can turn the car all the way on, I cannot shift the car out of park or get the key to turn to the "full off" position so I can get it out. This happened once before a few weeks ago and after a lot of pushing, pulling and cursing the key magically came out and I was hoping it would not happen again. No such luck. I did a little research and it seems that *maybe* the key interlock switch/solenoid is bad. What is the name of the part that needs to be replaced if that is what's wrong with the car? Could this be caused by anything else?

Old 10-12-2016, 12:47 PM

I managed to get the key out...not really sure why it decided to eventually come out since I did not do anything different than what I had tried previously.

Anyway, I want to get to the bottom of this and repair whatever needs to be repaired so this does not keep happening. The car has 230K miles on it. I found the name of the part I was looking for...an Ignition Switch w/ Lock Cylinder. I just want to make sure it might not be something else before I shell out the money for the part. Is there anything else I should consider? Is there some way to troubleshoot this to be sure I am replacing the right part?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

I assume you tried moving the steering wheel back and forth. That will lock up the key sometimes.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:20 AM

I did. That did not help. I tried using a new key and that did not help...it also got stuck later last night, so I know it's not a worn key issue. Before bed, I sprayed some WD40 in there and it's still sticking a bit; but, that seems to have bought me some time, so I'm pretty sure it is the Ignition Lock Cylinder that needs to be replaced. I ordered the part today and have a friend who can install it for me. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I can get the car to him before the key gets stuck again. I'll post the results in a few days. Hopefully this fixes the problem.