HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   CAR RAN 2 WEEKS AGO, DID INTERIOR WORK, NOW IT WONT (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/car-ran-2-weeks-ago-did-interior-work-now-wont-30459/)

burtonripply 10-09-2006 02:55 PM

CAR RAN 2 WEEKS AGO, DID INTERIOR WORK, NOW IT WONT

1990 honda civic hb std.... the base model. power nothing. i took my dash out and sprayed it black... put it back in and now my car isnt starting. it has good oil, good battery, and it ran before i took my dash out. when i first was unhooking the relays or w/e there called, i did not have my battery unhooked.... now when i start my car it just keeps turning over, and turning over.(engine light is now on) So i checked for spark... and there is none. But the spark plugs and distributor ect are all good... as my car ran 2 weeks ago, before i unhooked my dash.. if i cant fix this at home by next week, its gettin towed to a mechanic. anyone ever done anything dumb like me, and have this problem? know how to fix it?

p.s i believe its something electrical, as it ran before i took my dash out. and now it doesnt. all the electrical things inside still work... lights, turning signals, hazards, speakers,... i also have a remote starter hooked up. something is stopping it from sparking, but i cant figure it out... my dad says i maybe screwed something in my ecu up... i dunno how to check that. im reading for info... but i cant really find any situations like this. any help is good. thanks.... it was running strong before this. dont think its valves or anything with the engine.

land9 10-09-2006 03:58 PM

RE: not starting

check ALL your fuses - in the footwell and under the bonnet

burtonripply 10-09-2006 04:54 PM

thanks....i just checked EVERY fuse. they are all fine. I specifically double checked the ECU fuse and the other ones that seemed "important".....
Somone PLEASE HELP ME. I just got my license last week... I WANT TO DRIVE

gwl 10-09-2006 05:15 PM

You have to be careful when you are cranking the motor, you may be dumping fuel and fouling your spark plugs and will it be hard to fire up. If they are wet, fuel supply is not the issue. I'm afraid you will have to pull the dash and make sure everything is connected properly. This is where I would start. Make sure you have a wiring diagram to double check the connections.

fglaustin 10-09-2006 05:53 PM

underneath the dist cap are positive and neg wires. need to remove the screws and isolate the 2 wires and turn the key to ON, and see if you have 12 volts at those 2 wires.
maybe something off of the ignition switch that is not connected.

also the dist caps in these cars deteriorate at a faster rate than normal (imho).
if it has been a long time (10 - 15 thousand miles) since a tune-up, i would put in a new cap and rotor.

how many miles ???

burtonripply 10-09-2006 06:33 PM

223 000 kms ish... so 133 800 miles ish??? i might check voltage tonight... if not i will check tomorow. but im thinking... it worked before i took my dash out... my distributor not just gonna get screwed over while my car sat for 1.5 weeks... would it?.... anyone know of a way to see if you ecu is toast?

fglaustin 10-10-2006 10:10 AM

turn the key to ON; will power the ecu (the ecu (check engine light) will come on); after about 4 seconds, ecu light will go off

mxs 10-10-2006 10:16 AM

you said you have a check engine light, what code is it putting out?

burtonripply 10-11-2006 12:23 PM

well the engine light is on... but my ecu isnt blinking? my ecu is under the passengers foot panel. Its covered in a bronzish metal, and theres a whole that i can see through to see the light.... (thats it right?) but i turn my car on (battery/electrical on... car wont start), and it doesnt blink. I looked at it for like 30 seconds.... no blinking, the light doesnt go on at all (little red led). Whats that mean? My check engine light is still on. My ecu screwed maybe? Would my lights/starter work without my ecu? Would that be whats causeing me not to get spark? Thanks.

burtonripply 10-12-2006 12:37 AM

anyone? i basically need to know if my ecu is screwed? i ca get one for 15$ at a pic ur part..... and if i need a new one.. what cars could i get it from... 90 crx's? si? or just the base model?