Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:56 PM
HCF Member
Default Exhaust question

My 94 civic si needs a new muffler, the exhaust is stock, looking to go back that way somewhat at least as far as sound goes. The resonator was taken off and replaced with a straight pipe after a few exhaust leaks were found. The exhaust is too loud and I can barely hear my radio or thoughts. I'm looking for a cheap exhaust that will lower the decibels, even if its a cat back system I dont care just need some thing cheaper and quiet do any of you have suggestions of products and sites to visit?

I know this is an odd request because most people want louder, I just have too long of a commute and would like my 3 year old son not to have to cover his ears when I accelerate thanks

Old 07-20-2009, 05:01 PM

Have you looked around for a OEM exhaust system for your 94 SI hatch? Any cat-back exhaust off a 92-95 hatch should work. Or do you want just a little bit of noise? If that's the case, then look into an Apexi WS2 cat-back. Youtube it, sounds amazing.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

that does seem pretty good, for some reason mine is WAY louder, I wouldn't think putting a straight pipe in place of the resonator would make it this loud......

Old 07-20-2009, 05:11 PM

Holes in the exhaust maybe? Is the stock cat in there, or something aftermarket?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:34 PM
HCF Member

yeah stock cat...its extremely loud out the back of the tip

just shot this couple of mins ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrc9xKzVlY

Old 07-20-2009, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

it sounds like you have an exhaust leak
is the stock cat working? im thinking if you dont have an exhaust leak then the cat was gutted or it broke apart because that sounded pretty raspy
do you have a stock exhaust manifold?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

When the guy was cutting out the resonator to put in the straight pipe I noticed some black flakes coming out of the pipe, so I wasn't sure if it was parts of the resonator since it was rusted a bit, or maybe parts of the cat....but that's exactly what I was thinking about the sound, the resonator alone being removed shouldn't make it this rhaspy

Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

your right it shouldnt be that raspy
does the exhaust smell different then a newer car or one with a stock exhaust?
if you have no cat or a bad cat it will smell bad (like when the car first starts and the cat isnt warm)

Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 PM
HCF Member

ok, went out to make sure it wasn't the cat....well I got down there and noticed there wasn't much exhaust pressure coming out of the tail pipe, so I laid down and felt around and found that the pipe about 3-4 inches before the muffler isn't even connected, it's rusted around completely, the pressure coming out muffler is just "jumper" pressure, the rest is coming straight out of a straight pipe.....do I feel dumb....you would think that the exhaust shop guy would have caught that.....or even I would have caught that

Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

Quick Reply: Exhaust question