Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car sounds like its not getting gas!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Default Car sounds like its not getting gas!!!

i have a 2000 honda civic ex auto w. 149k miles on it.

in the last 5 months (it wasn't too bad and its gotten worse and worse) when i cold start my car.... it car bogs down and sounds like its not getting enough gas...it starts at about 2k rpms and the only way to get it to go away is to almost floor it. If i keep my foot where it is on the gas pedal it will eventually shift but it takes about 6 or 7 seconds...it does this for every gear until i floor it enough to make it shift... In the last two months when ive started my car it does the bogging thing while in park...it gets so bad that i cant let my car warm up anymore without sitting their and reving it when it starts to bog down. It bogs down to just under the minimum line on the rpm gauge. I have done a whole tuneup, changed the fuel filter and the fuel pump and also put in a new IACV and put some injector cleaner in. ive been looking this issue up for sometime now and i cant find anything on it. The closest thing i could find is someone who was having similar bog-like issues and he put in a new coil and it solved it. what do you think should i try out the coil? thanks ahead of time for any info.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination (i have threads here to prove it), but my 90 Civic had a similar problem when it was previously owned by my brother in law. Turned out the distributor needed to be replaced. As soon as he threw in a new distributor, problem solved.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Chubby Chaser

when was the last time you had a full complete tune up? have you checked your timing?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
when was the last time you had a full complete tune up? have you checked your timing?
What would be considered a full tuneup? ive had the car since last January, and i replaced everything in the distributor minus the control module and the coil...i'm not sure how to check my timing, when i brought my car to the shop i go to they said that the timing was fine....im not sure that if the timing belt has been changed, that's my next project after getting this problem solved...what do you think? im off tommorow should i try the coil?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Chubby Chaser

pull the plug and turn engine and see if your getting good spark or a weak spark. what color is the spark? i'd suggest checking your timing.. loosen your distributor and advance your timing a litle and see if that helps.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 AM

okay im def. gonna try that today with my friend since im not the most mechanically inclined...i also forgot to mention that my car feels sluggish around 2-3k rpms after all it gets passed that bogging. maybe its just from having a single cam?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Chubby Chaser

i have had many of your models.. they are slow but not sluggish you have something going on..

Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
pull the plug and turn engine and see if your getting good spark or a weak spark. what color is the spark? i'd suggest checking your timing.. loosen your distributor and advance your timing a litle and see if that helps.
what exactly do i have to do? pull the wires and try to turn it over? what type of spark should be there? also does anyone know how to tell what type of distributor i have? theres a b sticker on it? thanks

Last edited by PaulC; 08-31-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:11 PM

i just tested out a new coil no luck....i was talking to 94hatch on aim and tested out the spark and it was yellowish/red/white spark...any other suggestions...im gonna probably try to check my timing but im a little nervous i dont wanna mess anything up

Last edited by PaulC; 08-31-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by PaulC
What would be considered a full tuneup? ive had the car since last January, and i replaced everything in the distributor minus the control module and the coil...i'm not sure how to check my timing, when i brought my car to the shop i go to they said that the timing was fine....im not sure that if the timing belt has been changed, that's my next project after getting this problem solved...what do you think? im off tommorow should i try the coil?
new spark plugs and wires? is your fuel line clogged could be gummed up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car sounds like its not getting gas!!!