Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Broken Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM
HCF Member
Default Broken Motor Mount

I took my 1999 Civic LX in for the timing belt/water pump service at 218K and the tech noticed I had a broken lower motor mount. I am wondering if this broken mount has anything to do with some transmission shifting problems I've been having (I have the 5 speed manual).

At a stop sign, it's really hard sometimes to get the transmission back into first gear. It's like I have to push the shifter a few times to get it into gear. Also when shifting up though the gears, it will sometimes feel like it's in gear but I will be greeted by a nasty grind when I let out the clutch.

Would a broken motor mount have anything to do with what I've described?

Thanks in advance,
Colin

Old 12-29-2010, 10:54 AM
HCF Member

No it would not have anything to do with that but if I was you go onto andysautosport.com and buy a new motor mount.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
HCF Member

^ not so sure if your right about that, (BUT YOU MIGHT BE...)
I actually think a bad motor mount can cause what you described.
A friend of mine had a bad motor mount and it kept pushing the transmission out of gears..
but it usually only happened when taking off from a dead stop, he pretty much had to keep the clutch in untill 2nd gear.

I THINK its because there is more load on the engine when your at a dead stop, which causes the motor to move more than when moving.

But i could be wrong, hopefully somebody can correct me if im wrong..

Old 12-29-2010, 12:08 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by DaOne
^ not so sure if your right about that, (BUT YOU MIGHT BE...)
I actually think a bad motor mount can cause what you described.
A friend of mine had a bad motor mount and it kept pushing the transmission out of gears..
but it usually only happened when taking off from a dead stop, he pretty much had to keep the clutch in untill 2nd gear.

I THINK its because there is more load on the engine when your at a dead stop, which causes the motor to move more than when moving.

But i could be wrong, hopefully somebody can correct me if im wrong..
Yeah I thought they were connected because before I posted this thread, I did a general search at places like Yahoo Answers and it seems like in lots of cars a motor mount can cause stuff like this. I just wasn't sure about the Civic

Old 12-29-2010, 12:15 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, i would get that motor mount replaced, you dont want your tranny to take a dump because of it poping out of gear and grinding.
good luck.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 PM
HCF Member

Ok I'm kinda confused on this subject(sorry to ask). But isn't the mount located outside the transmission? So how can it effect the transmission's shifting at all if all the gear changing is going on inside the transmission?

Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

It has something to do with the engine moving too much causing the shifting rod to not stay in place alligned with the transmission.
And the rear motor mount sits at the back of the engine which is where the shifting rods are.. so you can see how the engine moving too much would affect the the rods going into the transmission.
hope it made a little sense..
At least thats my understanding on it...