HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   civic hx 1996...heater/AC problem (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/civic-hx-1996-heater-ac-problem-72678/)

shan5 01-08-2009 05:07 PM

civic hx 1996...heater/AC problem

hi everyone
New here. couldn't find a solution for my problem...i thought ask you guys.
I've 1996 civic hx 187XXX miles. I had to jump the car 2 weeks ago cause the battery was dead. After i started the car....the heater/AC stoped blowing the Air from the front middle panel....the air is coming out from the left and right hand side little panel, and also from the feet area.
its just not coming out from the front middle panel. I've checked all the fuses....all r good
Any Idea....What could possibily wrong:confused:

Thank you guys

RonJ 01-08-2009 05:24 PM

Does the mode control motor operate at all? For example, does it switch properly to defrost or other modes?

shan5 01-08-2009 11:17 PM

you know what ive foumnd out...that is working with the windshield defrost mode:confused:...not with its actual mode.

RonJ 01-09-2009 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sounds like the mode control motor is not working. Here's how to check:

Attachment 22861

molizard 04-04-2009 04:07 PM

I too had to jump my 96 civic (battery died). New battery installed and now like the guy said, my mode control has been reversed. The motor is fine, it steps thru all five positions as the buttons are pushed, it just is backwards now. If I want defrost air, I push upper vent. If I want upper vent, I push defrost. The floor vent is correct, being in the center, but on both sides the positions are reversed, i.e. the motor goes the wrong way. How can I reset or is the motor hosed from the jumpstart. I don't know if the good samaritan hooked the cables up backward momentarily or not, I was just grateful he had cables and the kindness to help me out. Anyway, I can live with this, I just have to remember if I want the function of the rightmost button, I push the leftmost button. If I want the function of the second button on the left, I push the second button on the right. At least the center button is correct with the vent door position.

gwl 04-04-2009 04:51 PM

Strange problem!! I would try to disconnect the battery for a minute or two to see if that will clear the problem.

gwl 04-04-2009 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by molizard (Post 634143)
I too had to jump my 96 civic (battery died). New battery installed and now like the guy said, my mode control has been reversed. The motor is fine, it steps thru all five positions as the buttons are pushed, it just is backwards now. If I want defrost air, I push upper vent. If I want upper vent, I push defrost. The floor vent is correct, being in the center, but on both sides the positions are reversed, i.e. the motor goes the wrong way. How can I reset or is the motor hosed from the jumpstart. I don't know if the good samaritan hooked the cables up backward momentarily or not, I was just grateful he had cables and the kindness to help me out. Anyway, I can live with this, I just have to remember if I want the function of the rightmost button, I push the leftmost button. If I want the function of the second button on the left, I push the second button on the right. At least the center button is correct with the vent door position.

I highly doubt that he reverse the polarity from the jumpstart. You would have a bigger problem than the one you have now.

JLaudioman 11-13-2010 07:17 PM

Strange, I had the same issue on my car with a very similar situation. The problem is that I still haven't fixed it, still looking for a solution. I have a 96 honda civic EX and about 2 years ago i went to start my car and the battery was dead, that night the heater vents were all messed up and have been since. If I want defrost, i select front vent. If i want front vent, i select defrost. The same applies to front vent/foot and front vent/defrost. Just foot button has not been affected.

I have tried to figure this out and there isn't much info on it. But after reading this I will be checking out the mode control motor. My question is how to tell if it is bad? Technically it still works in the sense that it does change which vents it is blown to, just not the correct ones. Should I be looking for some electrical issue or just a bad motor? The other interesting things is that ever since that night when my battery died, I have had battery issues every since. Alternator is fine, battery is fine, yet in winter it will die if it sits for one day. I always thought the two were connected, but no proof on anything yet. Would like to get to the root of the vent problem though.

444rose 05-26-2016 04:18 PM

fix for malfunctioning climate control

I had this issue since I bought the car 9 years ago, still own it and dealt with this idiotic problem. to further add some detail to the last post: you must get into a very awkward position and get your head under the dashboard on the drivers side, bring a flash light, an 8mm open end wrench, a screw driver (flat blade medium) a 1/4" drive ratchet w/an mm deep socket and it wouldn't hurt to bring a telescoping magnet. Now,

1: start the car and push the defrost button and when the air is blowing in your face, shut the car, do not press any other buttons.
2. remove the rod from the actuator by spring the plastic retainer to allow the rod to slide out exposing the 8mm nut
3. remove the 8mm nut with the wrench or socket, use the magnet now to suck off the 2 washers then using the screwdriver, pry off the arm that pushes the rod you removed from the splined shaft,
4. replace the arm on the splined shaft facing the 5 o'clock position exactly
5 carefully place the flat washer, then lock washer then nut while holding it in position, use the 8mm wrench to snug it down into the splines, tighten now with the ratchet tighten it down
6. put the rod back into position on the actuator arm and rotate retainer till it clips on the rod

That's it folks, you will be happy to see that the air comes from where it supposed too.

Good Luck!

Mr fix it 12-29-2018 02:54 PM

About your battery

Originally Posted by JLaudioman (Post 742237)
Strange, I had the same issue on my car with a very similar situation. The problem is that I still haven't fixed it, still looking for a solution. I have a 96 honda civic EX and about 2 years ago i went to start my car and the battery was dead, that night the heater vents were all messed up and have been since. If I want defrost, i select front vent. If i want front vent, i select defrost. The same applies to front vent/foot and front vent/defrost. Just foot button has not been affected.

I have tried to figure this out and there isn't much info on it. But after reading this I will be checking out the mode control motor. My question is how to tell if it is bad? Technically it still works in the sense that it does change which vents it is blown to, just not the correct ones. Should I be looking for some electrical issue or just a bad motor? The other interesting things is that ever since that night when my battery died, I have had battery issues every since. Alternator is fine, battery is fine, yet in winter it will die if it sits for one day. I always thought the two were connected, but no proof on anything yet. Would like to get to the root of the vent problem though.

The battery dieing just wondering if there's any electrical stuff not working in the doors... I.e. Windows, mirrors, powerlocks. If so it's common for the harnesses between the door and the body to break wires and cause a parasitic draw on the battery. Not hard to check just Google the procedure for finding the parasite. Hope this helps someone.... oh by the way I didn't look at the age of this post so if it's real old sorry... typed to much to change it now lol.