Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Antifreeze

Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Default Antifreeze

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot . What kind of antifreeze do I use? Is it available at NAPA or Carquest since those are the only two available around me. How high do I fill the reservour tank? Should it be full hot or cold? Does the tank have lines or something where it should be full, I didn't see any when I looked.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:41 AM
HCF Member

For Michigan's climate, go to the auto parts store (or even Walmart) and get 50/50 pre-mixed antifreeze. You'll probably need about a gallon.

You'll want to wait for the engine to be cold before you start popping caps on the cooling system. It's under pressure, and when it's hot, it's under more pressure which has the potential to be a 210* geyser if you remove the radiator cap.

Are you just topping off the coolant, or changing it?

Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

Before you do anything look in the owners manual & see what type of antifreeze Honda calls for. There is the regular green, dexcool which is orange, & one other that is yellow, I know of. Mixing these is a BIG NO NO.
If your topping off the clear plastic tank there should be marks but if not fill it about half full hot. Make a mark with a black marker where the level is. That way you know it should be close to that mark hot. As temps change etc it will change some but not a great deal maybe a half inch up or down.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 90 Civic
Before you do anything look in the owners manual & see what type of antifreeze Honda calls for. There is the regular green, dexcool which is orange, & one other that is yellow, I know of. Mixing these is a BIG NO NO.
If your topping off the clear plastic tank there should be marks but if not fill it about half full hot. Make a mark with a black marker where the level is. That way you know it should be close to that mark hot. As temps change etc it will change some but not a great deal maybe a half inch up or down.
Ya, all the manual says is to use honda only available from honda dealers. Doesn't say type or anything else. Looked under the hood and nothing there either. I called the dealer and he wouldn't tell me either. he said bring it in there's nothing else you can use . I looked at the color but the parents drove it so much without checking I can't even see what color it is to begin with.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 AM

Just go to the local store and get 50/50 pre-mixed. OEM Honda coolant is blue. The 50/50 stuff you normally find at a auto store can be mixed with anything.