Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Squeaking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Exclamation Squeaking noise?

Having read posts from this forum, nothing meets my situation, unless I've misread, and if so please URL the thread for me. Thanks!

I get a squeaky noise on the driver side's wheel/suspension area (Front left wheel/suspension) if i do the following:

-Go outside of the car and push down on the car, it will make a squeaking noise, that is not necessarily high pitch, rather vibrant squeaking (as that fake snow squeaking).

-When breaking, at the slowing down stage (30km/h to 0kms/h) the vibrating type of squeak starts to take place, or at the acceleration stage of course slowly (0km/h to 30km/h) same squeak applies.

-When I'm parked, and steering slowly towards either direction, i can replicate the squeaking noise. It's not a brute steer, it's a very slow rotation that can get the squeaking going.

Any suggestions, what that could be? If more detail is required, let me know.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Maybe the left strut (spring + shock) is damaged. Put the front end on stands, remove the left wheel, and inspect the strut for damage. Post high quality photos of the front suspension if nothing is obvious.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:18 AM
HCF Member

I concur with RonJ. How old is the car? I just replaced my struts on my 98.

Could it also be the brake pads are wearing out? Especially b/c the noise if more obvious at slower speeds?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Question

1997 Honda Civic LX
267,000 kms
Had no issues with this car at all bought it at 240,000 kms
Changed the drums on the back, and front breaks...

The weird thing is that, after i put it on stand and investigated it, i just randomly lubricated bushings around there (even though that's not gonna help) after i put it down, it miraculously stopped squeaking...very odd... and the squeaking happened for 3 good days in a row...on and off at times