Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic unstable over bumps / manholes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 02:55 AM
Default Civic unstable over bumps / manholes

Hi everyone
So I'm having an issue on my 2006 Civic FD sedan (1.8 VXI). I bought it with low mileage (64 000km) and no signs of accidents or issues. Since I got it a few months ago I did a tyre rotate and wheel alignment as I noticed some feathering on the tyres.
I noticed that it was wobbly on bumps and felt like the rear was swinging out sideway when hitting a bump. This is more pronounced on right turns at 60km/h on a bumpy surface, but it's also noticable on a straight line.
I took it to my regular mechanic who checked it out, reported no play in any parts and suggested new struts.
OK, so new struts went in the rear. They also reported no sign of any play or issues.
Problem is that it still persists. I'm thinking either tyres or maybe they didn't do the alignment correctly, or maybe even strut mounts? I assume they checked these out when replacing the struts but they were adamant that there were no issues found.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:20 AM

Problem solved. I took it to a referral who tested all the sway bars, links and anything that could possibly move. Nothing wrong. They took it for a drive and suggested the tyres were the problem. (Continentals - around 5 years old so near EOL)
Changed the tyres and checked the alignment which was fine. Hey presto, car is 100% better. Hopefully these tyres will do their job well for a while yet...